Topic: Fireface/Motu Sync

Hello,

I own a fireface UC that I use with a 8pre-amp and A/D converter rack (MOTU 8pre). They are linked using the ADAT lightpipe.
I had a lot of trouble running these 2 units together, with noisy clicks and son on.
I found that using a 2d ADAT channel in the opposite direction (RME Out to MOTU in) decreased dramatically the number of clicks, but I still have some (about one every 5 minutes), and it really sucks in the middle of a good take...
What is the best way to avoid this : Fireface Master (internal) or Motu preamp master (ADAT sync)?
Wich of the 2 situations is the more stable : Fireface indicating Lock or Sync?

Is there something I forgot to reach stability?

Thanks

Re: Fireface/Motu Sync

You need "Sync"... Only one device can be Master. If the connection is only one-way, the Motu will need to be Master, else you can also use the FF's internal clock.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

In theory it is best to have the recording AD converter (in this case the motu?) as master during recording. So rme in auto sync with the adat as sync source. During playback/mixing/ mastering it is best to have the DA coverter (your fireface? as master). If you use both the inputs on your fireface and your motu during recording I would use the RME as master.
If you use 2 cables (1 in 1 out for adat) both setups should work without problems, if setup correctly

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

@Vinark:
Thanks for your answer.

For recording I often use both Fireface and Motu inputs together (I only use the Motu's 8pre inputs if I need more inputs than the Fireface has, since RME's preamps and converters are better). I tried the 2 configurations that you say (RME master/Motu Slave and Motu MAster/RME slave) and it is the same problem.
Unfortunately there is no WordClock input on the MOTU device.
During mixing and most playbacks the Motu is not connected, so the clicks I can hear are recorded clicks.
Well...maybe a perfect sync is unobtainable with the Motu 8pre, which is really not a stable device (supposed to work in standalone/FW connection but never able to do it, that's why I tried to use it as a simple converter...and it's not better).

Anyway thanks for your help

Do the clicks occur during monitoring also or only during recording? If only during recording, they may not be sync related. If the FF dialog shows continuous "Sync", everything is ok that way.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Some of the clicks occur during recording because they are always located at same position during playback,
and because during playback the Fireface is the only connected device, so there is no sync.
One of the configurations Slave Master shows continuous sync,
the other shows Sync in alternance with Lock and the ADAT light blinking,
but I can't remember wich.

Anyway next time i'll use the continuous Sync one but I already did it and I had some remaining clicks during monitoring and/or recording.

Thanks