Topic: Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard Incompatibility with HDSPe?

I am attempting to use a Multiface II via HDSPe card in a PC with an Intel DX58SO2 motherboard.  I am encountering the old problem that the PC will not boot (hangs at video card init).  This problem used to exist with the earlier Intel DX58SO motherboard, but could be solved by installing the latest BIOS firmware.  Although there have been several firmware updates for the DX58SO2, and I have installed the latest, it has not solved the problem.

I have performed tests with all the BIOS power features disabled (such as C1E States, SpeedStep, etc), and also with all available firmware revisions for the motherboard.  The results are always the same.  I tried an alternative video card and swapped the video card to different slots with no success.  Also tested the cards in two different DX58SO2 systems with no difference.  The HDSPe cards have the latest firmware as well.

Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard
Motherboard Firmware Revisions Tested: 0779, 0765, 0752, 0724, 0603
Video Cards Tested: ATI Radeon HD4670, ATI Radeon X700 Pro

A few interesting points:
*If the HDSPe is installed in an x16 or x8 slot, the PC fails to boot.  However, if it is installed in an x1 slot, the PC boots, but the card is not detected by the BIOS or Windows (acts as if it is not plugged in).

*We have six HDSPe cards in stock, all of them around the same serial number.  Five of the cards fail, but one works fine.  All six cards work in a DX58SO motherboard, but not in the DX58SO2.

HDSPe serial numbers: 23178808, 23178810, 23178836, 23178838, 23178846 all fail.  23178824 mysteriously works (boots and is recognized by Windows, but have not performed stability testing).

Any idea what might be going on here, and if there is a workaround or solution?

--Lance

Re: Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard Incompatibility with HDSPe?

A quick forum search reveals this: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7443

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: Intel DX58SO2 Motherboard Incompatibility with HDSPe?

That information is largely outdated, as we have had excellent performance and stability using two HDSPe/Multiface IIs installed on an Intel DX58SO using firmware version 5529 (December 2010) and later.

I expected whatever problem was fixed on the DX58SO would not be repeated on the newer DX58SO2, but I guess that is not the case.  Given that a BIOS update solves the problem on the DX58SO, that seems to indicate it is not a problem with the X58 chipsit per se, but a BIOS or other firmware issue.

Also very strange that one HDSPe works while the others do not, suggesting something is teetering on the edge of some tolerance.

Is there any means to pass the information to Intel that whatever they fixed on the DX58SO is broken again on the DX58SO2?

--Lance