Topic: ICH9 better than ICH8??

Sorry if the question might sound stupid, but

I have a motherboard with USB 2 Controller Intel ICH8 Family.

A friend wants to sell me his motherboard, which is more recent and has ICH9. He says I'll get better (faster) performance with the Fireface UC if I install his motherboard. Is this true? Or there is no difference, what the USB 2 controller regards?

- Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2,33 GHz;
- MB Asus P5B-E;
- Windows 7 Professional x64;
- Sonar X1 x64.

Re: ICH9 better than ICH8??

What performance issues are you experiencing that you want to improve?

3 (edited by ffucOwner 2011-07-09 11:01:45)

No performance issues.

My friend suggested I'll be able to lower the buffer size even more with his motherboard.

But I just found out that - if I do that - I'll have to re-install the whole system... which is a big hassle... So I guess I'll drop it...

The question was, if there was any difference between ICH8 and ICH9 from which the Fireface UC might benefit.

- MB Asus P5B-E;
- Sonar X1 x64.

I doubt it.  But apparently RME stated that the ICH7 did have some issues that might adversely affect RME's USB implementation.

See here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7572

Your ICH8 should be fine AFAIK.

How are your current DPC latencies on your current MoBo?  Unless the newer MoBo has other features/slots you want/need, or if the NB chipset and power section isn't vastly superior, then I'd probably stick with your current MoBo.

One last point - Do you overclock or do you want to overclock your system?  Might the newer MoBo have better overclocking provisions (and newer/faster NB chipsets and improved power sections)?

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I do not overclock the MoBo. Nor the processor or the RAM. I'm not that advanced. I tried once to overclock the RAM, and the computer crashed.

I didn't even know what "DPC latencies" were, I had to check that out.

I guess, I asked a question, the answers of which I am not prepared for :-)

But thanks a lot, anyway!!!

- MB Asus P5B-E;
- Sonar X1 x64.