Topic: In which USB port should I connect the UFX? Midi devices limit

Hello,

I have ordered the RME UFX, which will hopefully replace in terms of performance my Multiface II. I hope the advertisement is true about the performance match.

So, in order to save myself some headaches, I want to ask what would the best procedure so I can connect my UFX to the most suitable USB port of my PC.

I have already read page 92 of the manual but I wonder if there is a more safe way to do this. Let me explain:

In my PC I have connected some midi devices (Steinberg CC121, Yamaha Motif, Novation Nocturn and SLII). These devices occupy the midi devices entries in registry. I seem to have reached close to the limit (8-9 midi entries). That means that if I connect a UFX to the wrong USB port and have to reconnect it to another one I will get out of limits and I will have problems with the midi drivers not installing correctly. This problem is still there in Windows 7 64bit.

Should I get a PCI-e USB3.0 card or this will deteriorate performance?
Is there any way to know which USB port is "better" for the UFX?

I will also be using it on a Macbook Pro so I guess in this case it should go straight on a usb port and not on a hub right?

My PC desktop system is:

Asus P6T Motherboard
i7930 Intel CPU
Multiface II PCI-e
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Re: In which USB port should I connect the UFX? Midi devices limit

Usually a group of 2 ports is one controller hub. So if you can connect to one and leave the other one free that would be best. Best ports are the ones on the backplate of the motherboard, but the ones in expansion bays should be fine too. Intels ICH10 is a great usb chipset. Personally I wouldn´t go with a USB3 card except for external HD´s.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Re: In which USB port should I connect the UFX? Midi devices limit

vinark wrote:

Usually a group of 2 ports is one controller hub. So if you can connect to one and leave the other one free that would be best. Best ports are the ones on the backplate of the motherboard, but the ones in expansion bays should be fine too. Intels ICH10 is a great usb chipset. Personally I wouldn´t go with a USB3 card except for external HD´s.

Hey Vincent, thanks for the reply.

So would this mean two USB ports that are side by side, or the one under another?

I guess the former one right?