Topic: USB cable length for the UFX

Hello,

I am pleased to say that I just got my RME UFX.
So far I have only positive things to say, although I believe I can praise the unit after I have played a little with it! One thing I can say even now is that it plays wonderfully along with my Multiface II! I did not expect that.
:-)

One issue I did not expect, is the length of the USB cable. It is only two meters long and unfortunately my rack is in a longer distance than my PC. The length of the Multiface II cable was longer than I needed but appropriate.
So, how long a cable will work ok with my UFX without causing problems?

This is a minor thing I need to settle until I can start enjoying this awesome unit!

Thank you!

Re: USB cable length for the UFX

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11085

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias, thanks for chiming in.

The link that you provided refers to a user with a Babyface that is actually powered from the USB.

There is no definite answer there about the cable length for a UFX on a normal USB cable.

Would a 4-5 meter cable cause problems with the UFX considering it is not bus powered?

5 meter cable is OK - I've tried a bog standard sheilded hi speed usb rev 2.0 cable that was feeding a printer from across the other side of the room, whipped it out and tried it on the ufx...

All sample rates work fine and reported latency is not affected in any way - (electrical signals in a copper core cable travel at light speed) as long as internal resistance isn't too high you'll be just fine -

Some people haven't had much luck in other posts...

UFX_MAN