Topic: Fireface UC Performance on MacBook Pro

Hi there!

I recently bought a Fireface UC and I am using it with a MacBook Pro 15" (I think its late 2008 with no SD Slot and removeable Battery), 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8 and Fireface Driver v1.59, Firmware v112.

I am not really sure how good the Performance should be, but working with Cubase 4 for a couple of days now I get the feeling there is something wrong. Say I have a project with three VSTi (2x Novation VStation, Ohmforce Symptohm), I use 2 stereo inputs with some delay and reverb effects on it (this is external hardware triggered via MIDI-Channels from Cubase) and some distorsion or sound mangeling plugin like the Ohmicide here and there.
What I get now with this setup are random glitches not only within Cubase but also when listening to a WAV file outside of Cubase (but it is still open in the background). When glitching you can see this red light indicating CPU (or ASIO) over but this dissapears at once after the glitch. Also I noticed, that this ASIO indicator always changes height very fast (like stressed) even if I have only one instrument loaded. It only goes up and down (say 3-4 pixels) in the lower region of this ASIO indicator but I don't know if this is as it should be!?

Besides: Changing the buffersize makes it better but with a big project I still have glitches with 1024 Samples and that isn't acceptable I think. And such a small project like the above should work with a very low buffersize IMO.

Another problem I have is, starting Cubase and loading a project gives me a really bad noise in 40% of files loaded. Then when I look into the Cubase mixer you can see one (or more) instrument or effect (like VStation or the Cubase build in reverb) giving this noise of course with maximum peak. After some time the noise decreases and after that I can work normally. I never had that before with other soundcards so I would say this is caused by the Fireface driver?

One reason of buying this thing was the high performance on OSX as it was said in reviews, but to be honest I am not very impressed right now especially for the price... is there anybody knowing these problems and can give me some hints?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Fireface UC Performance on MacBook Pro

The glitches might be due to CPU power-management. Try www.coolbook.se and set the load slider up to something higher than 5 while using low load in Cubase. This will force the CPU to stay away from deep sleep states. If this works you should consider paying the $10 to get the full version of Coolbook that allows to control the CPU multiplier (and voltage).

The VST noise can easily be analyzed. Remove the UC and use the onboard sound. There is little reason why the interface should affect how VST effects behave inside the Cubase mixer.

Thanks for your reply Timur!

You were right with your second thought. I tested a couple of times with built-in audio and after 6 times loading the same problem with the noise occured. So this might be a Cubase bug... wouldn't be the first one wink doesn't matter really I only have to remind myself to put down the volume before loading.

For your first idea with coolbook: I just tested this but the glitching got even worse with load set to > 5. It really seems that my tracks need too much CPU power sad

I have a Fireface UC and I am using it with a MacBook Pro 15" to.
A brand new MacBook Pro with a SSD and Cubase 6. Had the same bad performance problem as you until I learned you have to turn of the AirPort function. You can't just turn it off (the problems will get even worse), you have to turn it off and restart the computer.
I'm sure CPU power-management is important to, but turn the AirPort network off first. That made a huge difference for me.

thanks for the tip but unfortunately this didn't really work for me. I turned wireless of and restarted, launched cubase after restart (nothing else was open).
The performance was a little bit better but I think that was more because of rebooting and having closed all the open programs. For example having a browser open results in worse performance (of course becaus it need cpu). After my tests I switching the wireless on again didn't it didn't make any noteable differences