1 (edited by Alroy 2011-07-22 01:41:35)

Topic: Fireface 400 not recognised anymore

Hi there,

First of all excuse my english i'll try to be as precise as i can with my problem. I bought a ff400 2nd hand (past user had it for about 4 months) and he was using it on a mac laptop.

Everything was working fine for about 2 months but 3 days ago while using ableton the sound card crashed while recording audio from my dj setup. On the mixer you could see sound coming from everywhere (random sound going through channels) and then a VERY loud larsen noise very high coming from output ... no way to stop it without switching of computer.

Now can't use it anymore because it's most of the time not recognised by the firewire controller (which is Texas Instrument) on my desktop pc and stays on host mode. This one seems to have a problem as it appears that windows can't start it (Code 10). But sometimes when i restart the computer after a few boots it finds my rme and the controller again ... until the next crash ...

I have also experienced some bsod lately. Then i've also experienced problems with my realtek integrated sound card too that did also disapear from sound pannel... i got this one fixed by un and re installing new drivers. Now it seem ok ... i'm wondering of compatibility issues with it.

Now, i made some research on this board and on internet and this is what i already tried :

Updating firmware then drivers to latest version when i could see my rme (update of firmware crashed the first time but then it was ok got it updated. This had no effect on my problem.

Install the windows hotfix for 1394 port under windows 7 64 bits. no effect.

Switch firewire to legacy. Windows says he can't start this one too.

Change firewire cable : no effect.

Switching to high performance energy mode : no effetct.

Please if somebody can help me or need any other information to solve this ... I personnaly think it's my firewire port that causes this (but can't understand why it was working fine before and not anymore ... ) and i'm going to try with a firewire pci card.

My hardware :

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i7 920 @ 3.00
Gigabyte Ex 58 Ud5
Nvidia Gforce 9800 GT
6 gb corsair dominator
Screen : Samsung Full hd T.V 40 inch
or LG 24 inch

Edit : ok now my sound pannel crashed and computer doesn't even detect my realtek soundcard anymore argggh ... BUT now the firewire controler is working again ...

After uninstalling realtek i could see the RME again but with this message... I get :Windows can't load the driver of this peripheral. This driver may be dammaged or absent (Code 39). So i here switched to legacy and it seems to work for the moment ...

Edit 2 : Ok new crash with first the noize i described and then a nice bsod ... And computer didn't want to start. Did a memcheck and disabled Azalia Codec in Bios (realtek) and able to boot and see my fireface again ... and then new bug of mixer with high pitch sound and bsod after 5 minutes viewing youtube... Reboot and another 5 minutes ok then bsod with high pitch sound again ...
And now can't boot anymore have to repair the boot each time i have a bsod to access my desktop. enough

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9664/bughr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Fireface 400 not recognised anymore

Up

Nobody can give me an answer ??

This 2 last days i have tried everything and BSOD keep on coming each time i use my interface ...

I formated my whole computer and no go, back to a previous bios nothing can make it work...

Ok so i really think the problem is with the Rme and not my computer anymore.

I am going to try it on an other computer if it works i sell it. If not i'll send it back to retailer ... and I will try a usb interface instead. I don't want to stay without soundcard it's the main piece of my studio.

Hi Alroy,
Yes trying the device on another system is the best thing at this point.
Does the computer case you use have a front Firewire port connector?
If so is is plugged into the motherboard and is the FF400 plugged into it?
If you do have the front port plugged in try unplugging it. (When the machine is off of course)
Also make sure that the motherboards back plate does not have any of it's metal tabs sticking into the rear FW or USB ports.
There are metal tabs on back of those plates that  get stuck into ports when installing the motherboard.
The on board Firewire on that motherboard is totally compatible with RME products but that does not rule out the motherboard having a bad port or something is wrong with the FF400.
Trying it on the other system will be the best way to confirm this.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hey thanks for answering. It's the one and only buil in firewire port of the motherboard. I tried with a pci firewire card and it didn't work. It's like the port bugs whenever i plug the soundcard on it. I think the bsod may be related to irq problems but i don't know how to solve those. then each time i have to repair the boot...This afternoon i tried it with my friends macbook pro laptop with a firewire 400 to 800 cable and it worked fine ... so i don't know what to do now because i really need a soundcard to work. unless selling it and buying something compatible with my system.

Are you using Windows Servicepack 1? Maybe Windows update installed some FW hotfix/update? What FW driver version is shown in Device-Manager?

I am not using Service pack 1 yet cause i reinstalled all the system but i'm going to update it right now. The FW deriver version is 6.1.7600.16385 21/06/2006 ...