1 (edited by scoring4film 2011-07-19 14:37:26)

Topic: Sync HSDP 9632 clock to analog tape?

Can this be done?  As an experiment, I'd like to force my DAW to play back with the same subtle wow/flutter as a real tape machine.  The plan is to "stripe" a tape track with MTC and then play it back into the 9632.  Apparently this box will do the trick...

http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/mif4.html

Will this work as I described?  Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated.  Feel free to explain to me why this is a crazy idea.

thanks!

Re: Sync HSDP 9632 clock to analog tape?

The MIF 4 does not provide a way to sync the 9632. You would need a MTC to word clock converter and then sync the 9632 via its optional word clock module. But this gives no absolute position, so you would also need MTC (MIDI) input to your DAW. To be more accurate it should be ASIO Position Protocol, so you would need the RME TCO, but it does not work with the 9632...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Sync HSDP 9632 clock to analog tape?

Thanks MC.  So which RME product would I need in order to sync the card to an external word clock source?  Any of the cards that work with RME TCO?  After that, what would be the best way to get word clock onto tape and then back into the card?  Some sort of box that converts between MTC and word clock?

thanks again!