Topic: Fireface Uc Ableton Audio Dropouts

Hi,

I have a Fireface UC since february this year and i work on Ableton -Macbook Pro Mac OSX / 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Go Memory and an SSD Hard Drive. All drivers updated.

Since one week audio dropouts appears during live sessions and it's impossible now to make any live performance with the fireface.

I've checked everything beside the computer, the session, the usb cable and everythings seems to works great and I am very confused, i don't understand :-(

This is a copy of the console:

19/07/11 21:50:27    kernel    OAudioStream[0x91b4400]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (2070,32c)
19/07/11 21:50:27    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (206f,32c)->(2070,e1c).
19/07/11 21:50:27    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (2070,32c)
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (20e0,12c)->(20e2,cd3).
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0200]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (20e2,12c)
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b4400]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (20e0,12c)->(20e2,cd3).
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b4400]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (20e2,12c)
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (20e0,12c)->(20e2,cd3).
19/07/11 21:50:37    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (20e2,12c)
19/07/11 21:50:38    kernel    cessary() - adjusting clipped position to (20ea,d3)
19/07/11 21:50:38    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (20e8,d3)->(20ea,3b4).
19/07/11 21:50:38    kernel    IOAudioStream[0x91b0300]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (20ea,d3)

Is it the Hardware, Is it the computer ?

Anyone had this kind of audio dropouts ?

Please help me to find a solution

Thanks

Best

Bob

Re: Fireface Uc Ableton Audio Dropouts

I have the same issues on my macbook pro with fireface UC. My solution for live performance was to run Ableton on Windows 7 through bootcamp. A very inconvenient workaround but at least it worked for me to be able to do live performances.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

Which Ableton Live version are you two using (Version + revision)?

Ableton Live 8.2.2

Hey Timur,

I'm using 8.2.2 as well in Windows 7.

While we're on the topic of dropouts there has been a new Mainstage update that I haven't tried yet since I had my dropouts originally with that program so I have some testing to do back in OSX to see if performance is any better now.

www.toddbass.com

Could any of you two provide me with a simple Live set that demonstrates the issue? I'm on a 2011 MBP now, so it may be different from me, but at least Todd's 2010 one with Series 5 Intel chipset should not be so different as far as USB is concerned.

BTW: I'm still using Logic 8 aka Mainstage 1 here, won't update Logic before X (if at all).

I could send you my live set but I'm not sure if you use the same plug-ins and I'm playing with real time audio input(my bass). I'm not just triggering clips and that's the reason I like a 128 buffer(minimum) since I'm playing an instrument in real time. I'm using different effects by triggering one chain at a time with dummy clips and looping the audio with Mobius. Maybe I should video record my practice session and the I could capture it live when it happens?

www.toddbass.com

It would help to have a reproducible set. Get rid of as many external plugins as possible and try to reproduce then. If it still happens without the external plugins you can send me the set. If it doesn't happen without the plugins then the driver likely is not at fault (it does not handle plugins, just the audio of the host, aka Live).

Also try setting the "plugin buffer size" in Live's preferences to a fixed value instead of the default "as audio buffer" one.

Plugins I'm using here are NI Komplete (6), Kore, much of the IK Multimedia range, UHE Uhbiks and some more. And anything that comes with a trial and no dongle I can temporarily install. The realtime audio input should not be much of a problem, I can use guitar/bass/vocals/keys to play with, albeit not with the expertise of a professional instrumentalist. wink

I advice to compress the set with 7Z, which compressed audio better than most other compressor (especially a lot better than the one used by Ableton when you pack sets). If you need space for uploading, let me know, I will give you access to an ftp server then.

Thanks Timur! I will replace third party plugs with live plugs to see if that makes the difference. The only third party plugs I was using were soundtoys and 2c-audio breeze. My CPU usage is usually around 14 percent with maybe a few jumps up to 30 percent yet I still glitches. TO be clear these glitches only happen in OSX not in Windows 7. You helped me get a stable system in windows but I would much prefer to use only one operating system. I have already limited the computer to live performance and audio recording and I would eventually like to keep things as simple as possible.

I can't use 7Z in OSX right?

If I still get glitches even using Live's plug-ins then I will send you the live set to see if you can reproduce.

Thanks again for all your help!

www.toddbass.com

First let's see if we can reproduce the situation with the console errors. The glitches can be another problem that is more Live specific. When I tested Live 8 on a 2010 MBP 17" i7 2.8 running a HDSPe + MF2 I only got 8 tracks (+Send/Returns) at 64 samples free of drop-outs on OS X while on Windows I could push towards 20.

Now on the 2011 i7 Quad 2.3 the difference is still considerable, but more in line with what it was on the 2008/09 C2D 2.8, around 20% I'd say. So the 2010 MBP and Live don't go well together on OS X, likely because of CPU power-management.

You can use 7Z on OS X, I prefer 7zX for that, but there are others as well. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Do you get glitches when not using the looper and/or not using Midi controllers (nice FC-300 there wink).