Topic: Linking 2 x MultifaceIIs

Hi there

I have a MultifaceII + HDSPe Hamerfall PCIe card and am in a position where I would like to increase the number of analogue inputs/outputs from 8 to 16.

Therefore, I was thinking of purchasing another MultifaceII and an additional HDSPe Hamerfall PCIe card.

Will using 2 MultifaceIIs at teh same time work okay?

My operating system is Win7 64-bit and I'm using Sonar X1 (64) as my DAW.

Kindest regards

LiD

Re: Linking 2 x MultifaceIIs

Okay...silly me.

I know where I went wrong and now realise I can have a maximum of 3 HDSPe systems.

What would be best for me - An additional MulifaceII, or an ADI-8 DS hooked up to my current MulifaceII?

2 x MultifaceII Scenario
In a hardware patchbay, I would be able to route outputs from MultifaceII#1 to MultifaceII#2's inputs. This is great assuming I'm correct? However, wouldn't there be routing complications between the 2 MultifaceIIs within TotalMix?

If so, then wouldn't the MulifaceII + ADI-8 DS option be the best choice until my input/output requirements increase beyond 16 inputs/outputs?

Regards

LiD

Hi LiD,
Are you working at 44.1k or 48k?
If so then to me it would make more sense to get a Fireface 400 or Fireface UC and set it up as a stand alone AD/DA converter.
The Multiface like the Fireface 400/UC has 18 channels total.
If you setup the FF400/UC as stand alone you can just plug it in to ADAT ports of the Multiface.
You will end up with 16 analog this way without having to add more PCI/PCI-e devices to your system.
The Multiface I/O box will not save any routing if it loses power. This means you will need to setup the routing every time this happens.
The Fireface can store routing presets in the hardware.
You will have added benefit with the Fireface since it can act as a second sound card and be used on laptops.
The Fireface 400/US units are close in price to the Multiface/HDSPe card combination.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

Hi Chris

Thanks for that. By the way, I'm a happy ADK customer here in Scotland with one of your Quad Xtremes :-)

I normally use 44.1k. For future reference, what would my limit in terms of sample rate using a FF400/UC viat adat to a MultifaceII set as master?

I must say Chris, I'm intrigued by the flexibility in which a Fireface400/UC may bring to my setup. Not sure which I'd go for as I'm not too sure if my laptop's firwire is TI chipset. I'd need to check somehow.

I'd never thought of a FF400/UC for some reason. I'm not sure how the headphone output of the FF400/UC figures as anologue outputs 7/8 and how these can be used as anything but headphones (insert cable perhaps?). However, I reckon 14 routable outputs in my patchbay would suffice. Also, the unit would be directly below my patchbay which comfortably enables me to patch into the 4 line inputs on the FF400/UC's front. cool

Thanks for putting me onto this. I have a couple questions which I hope can be cleared up before I order.

1. In the setup you described Chris, would I basically have a FF400/UC's analogue inputs and outputs brought into my MultifaceII's TotalMix via adat 'without' having to hook up the FF400/UC to my PC using its IEEE 1394/USB cable? Therefore, assuming this is correct, the only connections a FF400/UC would require would be the 2 x toslink cables from its adat I/O >>> MultifaceII adat I/O? Apologies for being over descriptive, I just want to be sure.

2. In another setup scenario, would I be able to use a FF400/UC hooked up to my PC using its IEEE 1394/USB cable alongside my MultifaceII, both as separate sound cards working side by side (albeit in separate TotalMixes)? The reason I ask is that their manuals each state that up to 3 HDSP or 3 FF400/UCs can be used. However, the manuals do not state whether or not 'one of each' can be used in a given setup. Incidentally, I use Sonar X1 64.

If my second question is dooable, this would expand my capacity further (if/when needed) by then having 16 x analogue I/Os, 16 x adat and 4 x s/pdif. Fingers crossed. HeadScratch

Kindest Regards

LiD.

The laptop angle is quite useful too but I would only envisage using it for small scale location stuff and importing to my DAW once able to.

Just realised that my current laptop, an upgraded albeit cheapish ACER, which I bought without recording in mind has an OHCI firewire controller.

Looks like I'd be opting for a FireFace UC. 

LiD

HI LiD,
Yes 2 Multiface's will give 16 line level analog I/O and 16 ADAT and 2 SPDIF I/O to work with so if later you wanted to add even more analog I/O you can add them to the ADAT and SPDIF. You will have 36 channels of I/O with this with setup. As long as you system has the available slots and sources. you can add 3 of any combination PCI or PCI-e HDSP cards. I would look at getting the HDSPe PCI-e card for the 2nd card. This will give more choices with slots to install it on. Also if/when you get a new system it very likely will not have PCI slots at all so the PCI-e would be a better future proof choice.
You can use the Fireface units or some other stand alone AD/DA converters on you ADAT ports at some point if you need add even more analog I/O.

Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

ChrisADK wrote:

you can add 3 of any combination PCI or PCI-e HDSP cards.

Thanks Chris

I really appreciate your help. :-)

You mentioned that up to 3 HDSP cards can be used. I noticed this in the manual. I am also aware that 3 Fireface400UCs can be used. However, would a Fireface work plugged into a PC alongside a MultifaceII - i.e. non adat? Will they both show up as I/O devices in a DAW?

The reason I ask is due to both product's manuals stating that a maximum of three of each can be used together. However, they do not say that they can be used as combinations of each type - i.e. 1 MutifaceII & 2 Firefaces.

Regards

LiD

Not really, the HDSP ASIO driver and FF ASIO driver are separate. You can combine devices from the same family easily.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

Not really, the HDSP ASIO driver and FF ASIO driver are separate. You can combine devices from the same family easily.

Thanks Jeff

That's extremely useful for me to know.

Despite this, I still think I'll go with a Fireface to use as a standalone box for an increase of 8 x I/O via adat to my MultifaceII. This is because of the flexibility which a Fireface brings to potential portable recordings when I can use a laptop on location. If I was to require further extension of I/Os, over and above the MultifaceII and Fireface, then I guess it would have to be another MultifaceII and HDSP PCIe, since I've already committed to this system.

I guess the only little issue I have with the Fireface is that Outputs 7 & 8 are the headphone output. Is there any way to use these outputs in the traditional sense in my patchbay - some kind of split cable (stereo to balanced TRS) perhaps?

Also, due to not having TI chipset on my laptop, I reckon I'll go with a FirefaceUC.

Regards

LiD

Yes, a splitter/insert cable will give you two unbalanced outputs.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you Jeff

Also a big thanks to Chris.

Regards

LiD