Topic: HDSP 9652 problem

Not sure if this thread is dead, but I experienced almost the same problem with HDSP 9652. 

After a catastrophic HD failure I had to rebuild my OS (Win XP SP3).  The card worked fine for years before.

When I installed the driver (v 324) in the prescribed manner, my system would persistently hang forever at the Windows XP boot screen (the one just before the final logon screen). 

I rebooted in safe mode and removed the driver.  Now the system rebooted and I tried installing an earlier driver (294) and rebooted successfully.  The Windows device driver windows reported the card and driver were operating properly, although none of my apps, ie Sonar 8.5 would work with the card, and the toolbar app settings (hdsp32.exe, I believe) stated "RME Hammerfall DSP Hardware Mismatch!  This driver version requires a new interface firmware for enhanced functionality".  I was directed to this website for the Flash Update tool (which I already had). 

I had tried multiple times on several XP machines to run the flash program, but nothing at all would happen except for a quick flash in the process window of windows task manager, which showed the app was loading and exiting. 

The only other symptom was a window that appeared as I attempted to install any of the drivers, just before the expected "windows unsigned driver  warning" which I don't recall seeing in the past which stated windows didn't believe the driver I was attempting to install was meant to work with the hardware and that serious problems could occur.

How can I ascertain if the card is damaged, or if the flashed image is corrupt?  The ADAT and SPIDF outputs lock in sync with my digital board, so I assume that there is some functionality.  I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting these things, but after a week, I'm ready to give up.

I have built my system around this card and would hate to change interfaces.  If I knew it was unfixable, I'd buy another one used, but I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Re: HDSP 9652 problem

The card sends a wrong ID (driver not for that hardware message), which points to problems with PCI communicati0on. Tried to clean the gold contacts with a rubber pencil or eraser?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'll try that tomorrow and report back.  I did visually inspect them, and the sockets, but I'm sure that's not too reliable. Thanks for the quick reply, and for giving me some hope;)

Thanks, MC but no go.  Also tried re-seating the 8 pin socketed chip marked "W52" just in case.  I checked the entire board, esp the chip leads for shorts, etc but all seems fine.  Any other thoughts?  Thanks in advance, Frank

If the card has got the W52, it is not an HDSP 9652, but the older Hammerfall 9652. 3.24 can not be installed. Use this driver: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tr … 2k_211.zip

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks, once again stupid user error.  Is it possible v 2.94 worked in the past?  It's been so long since I had last installed it, and the only driver I had in my RME folder was that one.  I tried 3.24 when that didn't work.  Anyway, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.  When I finally upgrade to newer hardware, you can be sure I'll stick with RME; I don't think I've ever had better support, and with a legacy product no less!  Frank

Worked like a charm!  I will certainly remain a loyal customer and proponent of RME after receiving such superlative support.  I'm sure that  I've never had a company solve my problem on a weekend, either.  Thank you, Frank

Good to hear it's working... No, 2.94 could never have worked with this card, it is only for HDSP cards.
Your card will also work with Win7, but only 32 bit versions, and only ASIO (no WDM support).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME