Topic: FF400, Possible ASIO multiclient bug, stuttering buffer loop/noise!

Hi there.

Not entirely sure how to describe this, so here goes.

If I am using my DAW in ASIO mode (like always) and open up another ASIO application or any other sound app that's using directsound, rarely, and randomly I will get a buffer loop.

It sounds like a high pitched machine gun! KRKRKRKR, it doesn't sound like a typical 'buffer loop' when a sound app has crashed and the audio buffer is looping.

It seems to happen more often if I have 2 ASIO apps open, and then load up my MP3 player.

To fix it, I have go into device manager and disable, then enable my RME Fireface 400.  Restarting the Windows Audio service will not fix it.  Powering off the card and then on will also correct it.  But as my card is (sort of) in a rack, power cycling is a little tricky.

This doesn't seem to be specific to which ASIO application I use, so I think it's safe to say it's not a fault with my music software.  It just seems to happen more frequently if I have too many sound apps open at once.

Another odd thing.

If I have my DAW open, and then later, open up an mp3 to quickly listen to, the sound will start acting up with the KRKRKRKR stutter, if I close the mp3 player, it will go away entirely.  No matter what music player I use, or even load up Firefox to check out Youtube or something, that will cause it, closing Firefox / the mp3 player will sometimes fix it.

Also opening up 2x ASIO apps, then a directsound app will sometimes cause this to happen much quicker. 

I don't think this happened with the previous drivers.  But I could be wrong.

RME Fireface 400
Driver date: 21.06.11
Driver version: 3.047
Hardware Revision: 1.70

PC setup:
Intel Core i7 2600k, 8GB DDR3
Windows 7 x64 Professional

DAW: Renoise and Reaper

Thanks

Re: FF400, Possible ASIO multiclient bug, stuttering buffer loop/noise!

Another thing, since this just happened now.

While the horrible noise is going on, Fireface Mixer is showing me that Out 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 are all have very high signal going out of them.

Yet my mp3 is playing on Out 7 and 8.

So if my mp3 player is sending outputs on 7+8, why is 1-6 making a horrible repeating clicking sound?

my Matrix is set so that Out 1-8 are all routed to my headphones and Analog 1+2 out.
Everything else is 'blank' per se.

it's not distortion, it's almost as though a part of the song, maybe 2ms is being repeated constantly.  It doesn't sound at all like noise on the output, or cable noise.  I'll try record the sound I'm getting if I can.

If I close my mp3 player it stops, and Outputs 1-6 go silent, including 7 and 8. 

If I simply pause the mp3 playback, 7-8 go quiet, but outputs 1-6 keep on making the noise.

I hope that's more helpful.