Re: ASIO multiclient not working properly

Last time I checked, Nuendo 4 just grabbed all the I/O regardless of the enable/disable setting; all that seemed to do is disable and enable within Nuendo. I'll check again.

And Timur: WDM shares channels with ASIO and vice-versa, and allows for different sampling rates on the same channels? no:

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

There is no disable / enable setting. You have to assign connections via F4. No connection for an input or output - input or output not used.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,

I have been experiencing an issue for MONTHS, trying to find a solution, and in my spare time I try to research the issue.  I just found this thread, and I have a suspicion (although I hope I'm wrong) that my beloved Fireface 800 might be the cause of my problem:

I am a composer and run Logic 8.0.2 on an 8-core Mac Pro loaded with RAM.  As you all know, we still live in a 32-bit world, which limits us to less than 4 GB per app.  So, in addition to my VI slave machines, I have been trying to run some VI's in standalone mode on my main machine.  Great concept, huh?  Should be easy - set up some IAC ports for inter-app MIDI and use Totalmix loopback to get the standalone apps' audio back into Logic.

Well, it has never really worked.  I've figured out how to get just one standalone VI going in addition to Logic (NI Kontakt 3).  However, I have to do all kinds of voodoo to even get that far.  When I do get it running, it all falls apart as soon as I launch another VI app, and I think I've finally found the problem: the Fireface is not really a multi-client interface, at least from what I gather here...  If I should be able to do the following, then I stand corrected:

Boot Mac
launch Kontakt 3; each channel output is set to an ADAT pair (those outs are looped back in Totalmix, to feed Logic's mixer)
launch Logic 8.0.2 - so far, so good (Logic's mixer has 24 live inputs enabled: 8 analog & 16 ADAT from Fireface)
launch EW Play (StormDrum2) - Kontakt 3 no longer generates audio.

Is this because Play and Kontakt both use the same ADAT outputs?  I've tried isolating them so there's no channel sharing, but one still cuts the other off.  Or is this because NI stuff hogs even unassigned outputs in the background as some have suggested?  Incidentally, IAC is disabled - all MIDI is done with physical cables to eliminate that variable...

Either way, it's very frustrating as I can't do what I should be able to do.  Hope someone can shed some light on it!

Thanks so much,

Jim

Jim Daneker
www.whinecellarstudio.com
2008 8-core Mac Pro/16GB RAM/10.6.7/Logic 9.1.4/FF800

There is no ASIO in Macs. There is Core Audio which takes over all the multiclient things and this works perfectly.

The only reason for something to fail is when a program can not use our driver correctly, but that has nothing to do with multiclient.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, Matthias.  I know there's no ASIO on Macs - I was using the term "multiclient" conceptually.   I didn't know Core Audio handled those aspects - maybe I posted in the wrong thread ;-)

I posted here because earlier in the thread I noticed some posts where people weren't having this issue while using other interfaces.  However, it could very likely be an issue with Native Instruments' output handling (wouldn't surprise me).  I would certainly give the benefit of the doubt to RME based on my 4 years of raving success with my Fireface ;-)

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Daneker

Nice explanation, whinecellarstudio.

It was my understanding from this thread that the issue could be solved by either RME or the plugin vendor. I.e., if the plugin wasn't "hogging" channels, it work work. Or if RME updated their drivers to allow multiclient operation in these cases, it would also work.

Technically, the RME drivers work fine. Both RME and the vendors can pass the buck on the problem to each other. But in the end, we're simply caught in the middle.

The above is simply my understanding; I could be wrong though.

Mathias posted a link to a tool that offers a work around to this problem. But, I think that tool doesn't work in 64bit Windows.

jbone1313 wrote:

in the end, we're simply caught in the middle.

It sure feels that way at the moment.  NI in particular is notorious for having the "it's not our problem" attitude, but the more I research, the more the problem doesn't seem to be exclusive to them.  I have some other audio interfaces around - when I get a chance, I'll see if the problem occurs with those.  I do know that if I just use the Mac's internal audio hardware, the problem goes away - I can use standalone apps all day long outside of Logic.  That doesn't help me though - I want to route everything back into Logic, and Totalmix is perfect for that!

Oh, and where's the link you were referring to that MC posted?  Is it for Mac users or Windows?  If there's a solution to this, I'd LOVE to see it!

Thanks so much,

Jim

Jim Daneker

108 (edited by Manuel 2010-07-19 09:12:51)

I want to post back on this thread. Since I moved to China I have not been able to use my rig for a while and I am finally up and running again.

Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my XP machine to Windows 7 and what can I say, with the latest driver my Fireface 400 finally works ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY. I am extremely happy. Every single problem I used to have is GONE. The ASIO multiclient issues and all the problems with applications trying to access the same playback channel are nicely handled, and nothing crashes. Even the hangs after suspending the computer are gone.

I am so impressed! It's early Chrsitmas for me! Well done RME! :-)

Old thread but I've got a quick question: I'm trying to assign Kontakt 3 to a different output than 1+2. It seems Kontakt selects outputs 1+2 with no way to change it as in the Kontakt settings you simply select 'Asio' and 'FireFace Asio'. I want to use the multi-client option but I'm not sure Kontakt offers a thing where you can select which channels you want them to output on. Am I right on that?

Kontakt 3's ASIO might occupy/block all channels, no matter what you set or assign within the program. Please check with NI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thared33 wrote:

Old thread but I've got a quick question: I'm trying to assign Kontakt 3 to a different output than 1+2. It seems Kontakt selects outputs 1+2 with no way to change it as in the Kontakt settings you simply select 'Asio' and 'FireFace Asio'. I want to use the multi-client option but I'm not sure Kontakt offers a thing where you can select which channels you want them to output on. Am I right on that?

Hi,
Kontakt uses all the audio ports even if they are not activated so it does not work well in Multi-Client setup.
Does Kontakt not work as a plug in with the software you use?

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg