1 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-05 17:45:48)

Topic: ASIO multiclient not working properly

The problem I have is that I cannot have two applications share the ASIO drivers. For example, if I have two softsynths running simultaneously, I can only hear one or the othe other but not both. Please read on.

My system is as follows (in case this info helps):

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz
- 2 GByte DRAM
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (which I don't recommend, by the way)
- Windows XP SP2
- Fireface 400 + latest driver (v2.78) and latest firmware (v1.63)

OK, here is a detailed explanation of the problem. Up until two days ago I had been using Propellerheads Reason as my only sound engine. I always use the ASIO driver because it offers the lowest possible latency. Because I was using Reason on its own, I never worried about my Fireface 400's ASIO multiclient capability.

However, two days ago I decided to buy Native Instruments Komplete 4 and Kore. Komplete 4 comes with a number of software synths that can be run as VST plugins or in what they called stand-alone mode. In stand-alone mode, each softsynth runs as a separate application, just like Propellerheads Reason. Stand-alone mode is useful if you want to play the softsynths live, which is my case. I have three MIDI keyboards and I usually set them up so that each controls a different instrument in Reason. So far no problems.

Now, let's take two of the softsynths that come with Komplete 4: Absynth and Reaktor, for example. I run both Absynth and Reaktor simultaneously and set them up to use the ASIO Fireface driver at 96 kHz. The Fireface 400 manual clearly says that all ASIO clients must use the same sample rate and that they must NOT use the same playback channels, so this was taken into account. In addition, I am using my motherboard's audio interface as the Windows default playback device.

OK, so I start pressing keys on my MIDI keyboards and I can only hear Reaktor. If I go back to Absynth and open the Audio Routing dialogue (which allows you to specify which channels to use), change nothing and click the OK button to re-assert the settings, then I can hear Absynth but not Reaktor. In other words, I can only hear the software that has been configured last.

Why is this?? I am going mad. But it gets even worse :-O The Kore hardware has an audio interface built in. Guess what: ASIO multiclient works fine on Kore!!! I can play as many softsynths as I like, Reason, etc (all using the same sample rate). I can even use Winamp and other common media players, all at the same time, and at different sample rates. With the Fireface, if I am using the ASIO driver I cannot use Winamp at the same time (because Winamp cannot use the ASIO drivers), and I find this limitation rather annoying  because I like to play my softsynths along to mp3s, and with Fireface 400 I just can't!!!

Also, Kore allows me to route the audio from all softsynths to the same audio outputs, which the Fireface does not. The Fireface 400 manual says that "... This is no limitation at all, because TotalMix allows any output routing, and with this a playback of multiple software on the same hardware outputs". Well, that depends. If you are running the Fireface 400 at 192 kHz the number of playback channels is limited to 5, and I would not be surprised if one day I would like to run 6 or 7 or even more softsynths simultaneously. By contrast, the Kore hardware allows me to play as many as I like. This is particularly annoying, because I like to play my softsynths along with some mp3s, and with Fireface 400 I just can't!!!

Maybe Kore has worse converters, it has very limited IO and no mic preamps, but it runs totally trouble-free! I really was amazed when I used it for the first time, because I realised what I had been missing out.

The conclusion is that the Fireface 400 slows my workflow down becasue it does not allow me to use various applications at the same time, and I always end up fiddling around with the settings in Winamp, TotalMix, etc., depending on which app I want to use. Particularly non-ASIO applications and ASIO applications simultaneously, which is possible with Kore.

If this cannot be fixed with some future driver update then I'd like my money back.

Re: ASIO multiclient not working properly

Manuel wrote:

I'd like my money back.

but from native instruments. looks like their applications always open all channels (even if some are not enabled)!?

3 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-04 13:57:19)

Dandruff wrote:

But from native instruments. looks like their applications always open all channels (even if some are not enabled)!?

I guess that's the problem: whose fault is it, NI's or RME's?

Within the NI applications I have disabled all unused channels. For example, I configure Reaktor to use only playback channels 1 & 2, and Kore to use only 3 & 4. All other channels are given -Not connected- status Reaktor and Kore.

As far as I am concerned, the (cheaper) Kore audio interface does the job transparently: any number of ASIO clients can use the same Kore playback channel. I don't know how NI have implemented this but I think it's great. Now I can play an mp3 on Winamp and play along with the software synths, all handled by one single audio interface. I am surprised that a cheaper device can offer such convenient functionality, whilst the FF400 does not.

Unfortunately Kore only has two inputs and two outputs so I still need an audio interface, and I hope there is a way round this.

If you are reading this post and you use Komplete 4 and a Fireface 400, it'd be useful to know how you got on with this combo.

Thanks!

Manuel wrote:

I guess that's the problem: whose fault is it, NI's or RME's?

NI's.

Manuel wrote:

the (cheaper) Kore audio interface does the job transparently: any number of ASIO clients can use the same Kore playback channel. I don't know how NI have implemented this but I think it's great. Now I can play an mp3 on Winamp and play along with the software synths, all handled by one single audio interface. I am surprised that a cheaper device can offer such convenient functionality, whilst the FF400 does not.

i don't know why, but that's how the rme devices/driver works. different applications have to use their own channels (when using asio). but this needs good written software with independent (working) channel selection.

5 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-04 15:25:40)

Thanks for your reply, Dandruff. Do you use any Native Instruments products and RME ASIO drivers? I think the FF400 is great and I am not trying to blame anyone, but I am really stuck because this particular combination does not work, which means I cannot use my set-up the way I'd like to.

The audio interface is a very important part of the studio, sure, but the whole point of  the studio is to make music. I don't care how it gets to the speakers, and therefore any  audio interface that does the job is OK for the task. However, only Native Instruments softsynths sound like Native Instruments softsynths, i.e. there is no alternative, and therefore I have to stick with NI.

6 (edited by Dandruff 2007-10-04 16:01:54)

Manuel wrote:

Do you use any Native Instruments products and RME ASIO drivers?

i've used some native instruments in the past. if i remember correctly, then kontakt 1 (for example) didn't had this problem. but kontakt 2 had. so maybe they never fixed this (or implemented it at all) in their latest versions. although it should be very easy for them! tell them, that they only shall open the user-configured (enabled) channels.

I sent an email to Native Instruments yesterday regarding this issue but they haven't replied yet. I will go to Digital Village later to see how other other NI + audio interface combinations work and seek advice. Any comments will be much appreciated.

A bit confused you seem...

In OS X CoreAudio is used and mixes everything. Our driver does not have to do this. Under Windows this would be WDM - Windows mixes everything, so our driver does not have to do this. ASIO does not exist under OS X and is totally different (thank god!). And yes (without having this checked) if NI's applications block all ASIO channels always then they are to blame.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-05 14:17:14)

The Bob Campbell wrote:

I find it odd that people are blaming Native Instruments for this

Exactly !!! Yesterday I conducted some experiments to test my Fireface's ASIO multiclient capabilities, but this time I did not use any Native Instruments applications. The goal was to have Cubase, Reason (in stand-alone mode, i.e. run Reason first then Cubase) and Winamp run at the same time.

First I will say that I found the behaviour of my Fireface 400 very unpredictable and inconsistent.

Getting the three applications to work simultaneously was a case of trial and error. I got crackle, dropouts, crashes... I some times could hear Reason on channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 at the same time, although I had specified that it routed audio to channels 3 & 4 only. Some times Reason would be heard but not Cubase. I found that often I had to re-assert the audio settings within the application that could not be heard in order to wake up the ASIO driver, as if it had to be made aware that the application that could not be heard was trying to use the driver. This involved opening the audio settings dialogue in Cubase or Reason and simply click the OK button, as I mentioned in my previous posts.

When both apps could be heard I tried to add Winamp into the equation without much success, i got an error message that said something like "Audio driver error". Again, I was using a separate playback channel and identical sample rate as per the user manual.

Finally I got the three to work but it was such a fluke that I still don't know how I did it.

I apologize for being vague about how I conducted the tests, but that's because I tried so many routes that I cannot remember exactly what I did. Next time I will try to be more methodical and record my moves.

Afterwards, I used Kore ASIO and I got the three applications running simultaneously at the first attempt. I even added Reaktor, Absynth and Kontakt into the equation and everything still worked, so I don't think it's fair to blame NI.

10 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-05 14:34:07)

MC, it's nice to get the participation of someone from RME, so thanks for your post.

Have you actually used the Fireface 400 as an ASIO multiclient host under Windows XP? I am having so many issues that I find it hard to believe that this issues have not become apparent this far down the road, I mean, the FF400 has been on the market for quite a while now. Perhaps it's only me, readers with similar problems please join in!

Hello,

I have to doubt that you configured Cubase correctly. It can be set to use specific input and output channels very easily by use of the VST connections dialog (F4). ONLY by this dialog!

I will post a more detailed reply why we think that uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver is consumer heaven and pro's nightmare later.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I have to doubt that you configured Cubase correctly. It can be set to use specific input and output channels very easily by use of the VST connections dialog (F4). ONLY by this dialog!

not even just that. there's even a (little) bug (at least in cubase/nuendo 3): on startup, the first 2 channels get opened always (even if disabled in the preferences). so you have to load a project or template to get the user-channel-configuration ...

MC wrote:

I will post a more detailed reply why we think that uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver is consumer heaven and pro's nightmare later.

I look forward to this, thanks!

The Bob Campbell wrote:

True Multiclient would mean for example, that Cubase could open 1-16, Wavelab 17-18, Foobar or Winamp 19-20, Ableton Live 21-22, and Vegas under 23-24. They'd all work without grumbling or breaking up the audio.

What you describe has been a standard feature in all our drivers since at least april 2003.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

multiclient working fine here. no problems.

The Bob Campbell wrote:

On both the Fireface and the HDSP (I have these in completely different computers) the multiclient ASIO fails to work properly. The feature may be there, but I can't rely on it. Opening another application almost always throws the driver into losing contact with the first application.

Bob,

I'm afraid this appears to be a user error... What you don't seem to see is the difference between using and de-/activating channels. When you want a software to use certain ASIO channels while Cubase is running, you need to decativate these in the Cubase setup (F4, see Matthias' posting above). Then Cubase will not use them and another ASIO application can access them (inside which only these channels should be active).
If (as mentioned above), the NI application always grabs all channels without an option to reduce the number of active channels, then this is an issue of the application in question.

Furthermore, Matthias has promised to "post a more detailed reply why we think that uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver is consumer heaven and pro's nightmare". Let's wait for that...

ASIO multiclient operation with this driver has worked for years... If there were an issue as fundamental as what you descrine, don't you think it would have been noticed earlier...? :roll

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

...also here.
I am wondering that using Mediaplayer with Spdif out and Foobar also with Spdif out works also at the same time. The only downgrade is when I set the volume control in Foobar to -100 (full attenuation) the sound gets distorted like a feedback. Matthias?
Beside this it works great using different channels assigned...so no problems.

regards

Zapp

Regards
Zapp

18 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-08 12:18:00)

The Bob Campbell wrote:

For me, the only way I could have an audio editor and media player run alongside the HDSP was to simply buy another interface (TC Konnekt 24d) just for that job.

In my case I use my motherboard's on-board audio interface to playback mp3s etc, connect its SPDIF output to the Fireface's SPDIF input and route the audio to my studio monitors in Totalmix. This is clearly not a neat method when I have loads of unused ASIO playback channels on my Fireface.

Bob, you said you have a TC Konnekt 24D. Does it behave in the same way as the Fireface 400 and the HDSP9652, or does it support ASIO multiclient the way god intended?

19 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-08 14:52:22)

Manuel wrote:

I sent an email to Native Instruments yesterday regarding this issue but they haven't replied yet

Well they just did. Here is what they have to say about the problems I described in my first post:

Hello Manuel,

This has been a really long email!
Please use a host software. Running standalones together is not working well under windows.
Not only the audio drivers, also the midi drivers are taken by a software and cannot be shared.

Cantabile from Toptensoftware is a good free host, Kore is the best of course.

Your NATIVE INSTRUMENTS Support Team,

Rico Baade

Right, so what does he actually mean? I have been using a utility called MIDI YOKE which can create many virtual MIDI ports so that more than one softsynth in stand-alone mode responds to MIDI messages from the same MIDI keyboard. Cantabile must be a similar thing but for ASIO instead of MIDI. Seemingly, the functionality of Cantabile is natively provided by the Kore driver, and therefore it is possible to play lots softsynths and Winamp simultaneously using Kore.

Perhaps RME have opted to exclude this feature from their drivers, for the reasons that Matthias has promised to outline regarding "...uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver...".

As you all are probably know, Cubase allows you to run many VST instruments concurrently (otherwise what would be the point of VST instruments?). I don't know how it does it but probably a technique similar to the one used in Cantabile is employed to make this possible.

I will experiment with Cantabile tonight, although I am totally not keen on stacking utilities this way because it can only make things more complex and unstable. It's just extra stuff to worry about. Anyway, here is a link to Cantabile http://www.toptensoftware.com/cantabile/ in case you want to test it too.

MC wrote:

... I will post a more detailed reply why we think that uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver is consumer heaven and pro's nightmare later.

Matthias seemed to imply in his earlier post that the Fireface is a more professional audio interface because it does not allow uncontrolled digital mixing. Having added control can be a plus at times, but I think users should be given the option of uncontrolled digital mixing as well. I personally would put it to good use! Would this be a very difficult thing to add to the current Fireface drivers?

Hi,

>The problem I have is that I cannot have two applications share the ASIO drivers. For example, if >I have two softsynths running simultaneously, I can only hear one or the othe other but not both.

if ASIO in multiclient mode, isn't this just let app (1) use channel 1&2 or more
next app (2) using ch 3&4 and turn off ch 1&2 in app (2) as an exampel here.

from test here with WaveLab 6, Cubase 4 and Digicheck
Adat ch 1-4 in WaveLab 6 playback 4 ch ASIO
Adat ch 5-8 in Cubase 4 playback 4 ch ASIO
loopback in TotalMixer SPDIF then recording in Digicheck 4.51
works fine

regards S-EH

Manuel wrote:

Right, so what does he actually mean?

He confirms what was suspected above - that the software in standalone mode will grab all ASIO channels and not let other ASIO software coexist.

Perhaps RME have opted to exclude this feature from their drivers, for the reasons that Matthias has promised to outline regarding "...uncontrolled digital mixing in the driver...".

No, the way an ASIO application handles plugins and the way an ASIO driver deals with multiclient operation is something completely different. There is nothing "excluded" here.

I don't know how it does it but probably a technique similar to the one used in Cantabile is employed to make this possible.

The important part about this is that the plugin's ability to directly communicate with the ASIO driver (as in standalone mode) is simply not active here. The plugin is only being utilized as a plugin, Cubase handles evrything ASIO. This can not be compared to what the driver does.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

22 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-08 18:30:56)

RME Support wrote:
Manuel wrote:

Right, so what does he actually mean?

He confirms what was suspected above - that the software in standalone mode will grab all ASIO channels and not let other ASIO software coexist.
RME

True, but he also says that Kore can handle this scenario and let you use multiple stand-alone apps that supposedly are trying to grab all of the ASIO channels. I am not entirele sure, however, that the software is actually trying to grab all ASIO channels as you said, because I explicitly tell each application which channels to use and which not to use. If the application were going to try and hog all available channels anyway, then why would Native Instruments have bothered to provide users with the option of enabling and disabling channels in their software?

The Bob Campbell wrote:

Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. Usually the symptom is the opening of a new application cutting out the audio on the previous application. In no case am I asking a new application to 'take over' more channels than I have specified. In no case am I allowing the original application to 'take' all the outputs.

As Bob very eloquently put it, it is kind of tricky to get things to work consistently, and my personal experience with the Fireface has been a frustrating one: I spend too long fiddling with settings instead of composing music. Clearly some of us are having problems and I realise that other users are reporting trouble-free operation of their RME interfaces, so maybe we are missing out something?

I look forward to Bob posting about his experience with his TC Konnekt 24D.

Manuel wrote:

I spend too long fiddling with settings instead of composing music. Clearly some of us are having problems and I we realise that other users are reporting trouble-free operation of their RME interfaces, so maybe we are missing out something?

Maybe this has to do with Firewire (and Fireface) versus PCI based (HDSP-series) hardware?
I repeat, no problems with the newest drivers of the HDSP....
I am using old Digiface with newest drivers.

regards

Zapp

Regards
Zapp

Bob, can you ask your mate to test it? Or when do you think you'll get it back? I think knowing how the Konnekt 24D behaves would clarify a lot of things.

I can only speak for the two audio interfaces I own:

- Fireface 400 (giving trouble)
- Kore (working fine)

Comparing with other interfaces will help reach conclusions. This Friday I might meet a friend who works as a sound technician and has access to various audio interfaces including a FF800 and a MOTU 828 MKII. Unfortunatelly, I think he uses Macs exclusively which will make any observations inconclusive, yet interesting :-).

For those of you who own a non-RME audio interface, it would be extremely useful if you could tell us about it with regards to ASIO multiclient handling.

25 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-09 09:45:57)

me.compositor wrote:

ASIO is a proprietary system for managing the audio connections of a computer or audio device and thus all connections are managed by a proprietary interface.

What am I meant to do with this information? :roll What we really need to find out is:

- Has anybody been able to use the Fireface 400 under Windows XP as a true ASIO multiclient host, that is, the way the user manual describes?

- Are there any audio interfaces out there that support true ASIO multiclient operation?

UPDATE: me.compositor has removed his silly posts, thanks!

I am a bit angry. I love the Fireface 400 to bits, but I cannot get it to work. Yesterday evening I tried to play PRO-53 on its own, and all I got was a rough sharp noise every time I pressed a key on my MIDI keyboard. Nothing else running. I changed buffer size, sample rate... that made no difference.

The Kore audio interface worked first time, every time, in a predictable manner.

I rebooted my PC. I tried again and now I could hear the Pro-53 softsynth. I run Cubase and Pro-53 started to sound rough again. This situtation arises when Cubase is sharing the same playback channel as another application, so I tried to change the Cubase playback channels, but when I opened the dialogue my PC crashed and I just went to bed.

I also had a hard time getting the Fireface clock to work. Within my softsynth application I can set the FF400 sample rate to any of the supported values. Usually, with the Fireface being the master clock source, the sample rate in the Fireface settings dialogue matches the sample rate specified in the softsynth, but this was not the case. Then I selected slave clock mode and the Fireface wasn't able to sync to the SPDIF clock @ 48 kHz, and was stuck at 96 kHz all the time. Yes, the Fireface was configured.

I will start a new thread to address the clock issues that I am experiencing, I am sure these are due to lack of understanding on my part.

Oh, by the way, I figured out that it is possible to run multiple instances of Pro-53 (and possibly other Native Instruments softsynths), althougth only one can be heard at a time if I use the Fireface 400. This means two things:

1. Native Instruments must have done it on purpuse, i.e., Pro 53 was designed so that multiple instances could be run. If this would have been a problem, surely NI would have disabled the ability to run multiple instances like many other vendors do. The fact that this is possible with the Kore hardware reinforces my argument.

2. RME could purchase a copy of Pro-53 or even Kore and try running multiple instances on a Windows XP system with a Fireface 400. This might uncover and highlight other issues that RME are not aware of.

Manuel wrote:

- Has anybody been able to use the Fireface 400 under Windows XP as a true ASIO multiclient host, that is, the way the user manual describes?

Yes. Me. I'm listening to a Cubase SX 3 project with several MIDI instruments at the moment (e.g. the PPG), while Samplitude 8.21 is playing back an audio vip, both in ASIO mode. It doesn't exactly sound nice (electronics vs. choir music), but it works. Cubase is using channels 1&2 (all others deactivated), Samplitude using 3&4, 1&2 are deactivated. This is what the manual describes, and it works. Face it...
:-P fryingpan wink

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The Bob Campbell wrote:

I'm not sure you'll get a definitive answer on this issue Manuel

Sorry to repeat myself, but I fail to see an "issue". ASIO Multiclient operation (also ASIO/MME) works and has always worked.
Why do you think "people weren't expecting it to work on these particular cards"?

For example I can't run the FF800 alongside firewire disks or the Fireface alongside the TC Konnekt, the two sharing the PC's firewire seems to be an issue.

Is this Firewire 400 or 800?

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I know that's how it should be. I think the problems might be specific to my system, so will try the fireface on another computer when I get a chance. The guys at Digital Village might let me try one of their machinese if I visit them at a convenient time.

Manuel wrote:

1. Native Instruments must have done it on purpuse, i.e., Pro 53 was designed so that multiple instances could be run. If this would have been a problem, surely NI would have disabled the ability to run multiple instances like many other vendors do. The fact that this is possible with the Kore hardware reinforces my argument.

How does this go with your quote from NI above? "Running standalones together is not working well under windows."
The fact that you can start several instances does not automatically imply they will all work, esp. if the software seems to grab all ASIO channels in standalone mode.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Bob

The Bob Campbell wrote:

I don't think it's enough to test a feature like this on Cubase and then assume that it works for everyone.

I tested Cubase and Samplitude. And all I was trying to show is that ASIO Multiclient operation works in principle. Not that I think this needs proof, but anyhow.

One thing I can say with absolute certainty here, even if I limit audio channels in Logic 5.51 and leave a pair at the end for Wavelab to use under ASIO, this does not work under any circumstance.

How so? Did you make sure that WL was using SPDIF only (nothing else active)?
Don't have Logic 5 here, sorry.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

PS: About the pans... There was a wink there also. Don't take the pan too serious, please.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The Bob Campbell wrote:

It might be RME policy to deliver on the exact description of a product but you should know that's not really the norm for most companies

I would think you'd have a hard time finding a claim about a product feature on our website that you can prove to be outright incorrect... And we don't promise success with women when you use a Fireface... wink

There you are... FW 400 may just not be sufficient for several devices. But this isn't something that can be compared to ASI multiclient operation.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The Bob Campbell wrote:

Which brings me to the question, when we use WDM for a media player or editor under Windows, the audio card is locked to our chosen sample rate (e.g. 44.1khz) so if that's the case, is it the operating system, the audio application or the RME driver that is performing the real time SRC that allows us to continue playing 22khz 48khz waves?

It's the OS.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I will try to chase the NI guys and see if they can fix this. NI will say it's not their fault, and RME will say it's not their fault either, lol.

My main concern is the fact that the cheap and cheerful Kore audio interface is very flexible about ASIO driver sharing, allowing many applications to route audio not only to separate stereo playback channels (Main and Headphones) but also even to the same playback channel. This IMHO is a masterpiece of engineering! I switch it on and it's ready to go, it works every single time. I could hide it under my desk and not forget about it, it'd still work. I want the Fireface to be like that. My studio is fairly simple and therefore once I've set up everything correctly I shouldn't need to mess around with settings dialogues. Kore makes this possible and Fireface does not.

If Native Instrumetns have been able to do this (regardless of what they said in their email about standalones not working well when run simultaneously under Windows) surely RME can do this.

The fact that not many users are reporting problems with the Fireface 400 might be due to the fact that:

1. There are more Fireface 800 users than Fireface 400 users
2. Many users just put up with problems like this, becasue the Fireface is still usable, or they assume that this behaviour is normal.
3. Many users might not even be aware of this problem becasue they don't use the Fireface's ASIO multiclient capabilities.

Lack of bug report does not mean there are no bugs!

Now here is something else: I am pretty sure that most Fireface 400 owners are, like myself, home studio dudes. If I were a pro or had extra cash to spend I would have bought a Fireface 800, but I don't need it, I was happy enough with the FF400 specs.

Now, are these problems relevant to the Fireface 400 only, or does the Fireface 800 behave this way too? Pro users with FF800s would quickly report problems to RME, but there's nothing in the RME forums about ASIO multiclient and the FF800, so I assume that the FF800 in facts works.

The user manual says something like "in a professional studio it's no good to use the Fireface as the Windows default audio playback device". When I read the manual I thought "Cool, I must disable that in the Windows XP Audio Settings dialogue so I am closer to getting pro status". As a result, my FF400 was left to handle audio from a single application: Cubase. Most home studio users who own a FF400 don't have a complex setup and will not even need to use the FF400 as a multiclient host. The only time they would need to do that is if they wanted to play mp3s using Winamp or iTunes, but, since the manual says that that is not recommended, won't do it and therefore the FF400 seems to work like a dream.

Any comments?

I just remembered one important detail that might have killed Bob's and Manuel's tests - the interleaved option for WDM. If this is on, then using the Media Player will crash 8 channels into your setup, not 2 - as explained in detail in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

38 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-09 16:18:16)

Thanks MC, page 27 of the user manual contains some interesting info about what you've just said, if that fixes my issues I'll owe you a pint :-) I will try this when I get home.

39 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-09 22:23:03)

I have spent the evening trying all possible configurations and I have had all sorts of problems. I will put a comparison of the Fireface 400 versus the Kore audio interface on my FTP server in the form of an Excel spreadsheet, describing how the two interfaces performed under similar circumstances.

Something is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery wrong. I am spending more time with the FF400 than with my wife and the Fireface is preventing me from making music. With Kore I was up and running in seconds. I am giving up. I have just disconnected the FF400 from my rig and will try to get an unlikely refund from Digital Village. Failing that, if anyone is interested, my Fireface might be up for sale on eBay very soon.

This piece of hardware is breathtakingly troublesome and I have already wasted too much time. I am ever so keen to produce music but I just can't with this thing. RME products are built to last and use top-quality components etc, but with bad drivers the FF400 is no more than a pretty brick sad

I appreciate the participation that this thread has received, but I just feel that this is a loosing battle.

Manuel wrote:

RME products are built to last and use top-quality components etc, but with bad drivers the FF400 is no more than a pretty brick.

Sorry Manuel, but the RME drivers are the best you can get. Period.
Btw, on my main computer, most of the time, 5 different application share the ASIO outputs of my FF400.
No problems at all.
If it's not working on your computer, it's definetly not because the drivers are bad.
Maybe the apps you use or some other drivers are interacting.
Bob did the right thing - reinstall Windows and only the apps you need to make music and for sure the FF400 will do the job - like a charm. :-)

Peace,
Victor

a strange thing i've noticed is:

multiclient operation with itunes or win media player set to FF400 analog 1&2 (via windows audio device dialog) and nuendo playing back on any other output did NOT WORK for me.

all other variations I tested (itunes to 3&4, nuendo to 1&2 - itunes to 3&4, nuendo to 5&6 and so on) worked perfectly.

ANY EXPLANATION TO THIS?

regards, hjalti

(win XP, fireface 400, nuendo 3.1)

hjalti.bager wrote:

multiclient operation with itunes or win media player set to FF400 analog 1&2 (via windows audio device dialog) and nuendo playing back on any other output did NOT WORK for me.

all other variations I tested (itunes to 3&4, nuendo to 1&2 - itunes to 3&4, nuendo to 5&6 and so on) worked perfectly.

ANY EXPLANATION TO THIS?

Message number 13 on the first page of this thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

43 (edited by Manuel 2007-10-10 13:46:20)

The Bob Campbell wrote:

This is the first time I've seen the HDSP running like this

That is analogous to "I didn't know s*x could be this good". Therefore I will try doing what Bob did. I still think the Fireface is a fantastic unit, and honestly if I could get it to work like it says on the user manual I would be extremely pleased.

I apologize for being a bit mean in my previous post ...

Hi,

I tried my Fireface on three different machines with fresh installed Windows xp pro sp2 with logic 5.51, wavelab 4 and foobar.
Even if i activate just 1+2 in logic and then 7+8 for wavelab it results in a wavelab-error-message "engine blocked by another application" or so. If i run logic 1+2 and than try to play a sound thru foobar 3+4 all i hear from foobar is nothing.

Multiclient asio with the fireface 400 does not work at all. Whether it does on the hdsp i don't know bacause i don't have one.
And it seems not to be a software issue.
Why am i so shure? Because alongside i tried asio-multiclient-support with my old m-audio delta2496 and with the terratec phase x24. Both played the above mentioned software at the same time flawlessly.

cheesy

45 (edited by Ted Perlman 2007-12-12 00:36:43)

RME Support wrote:

But this isn't something that can be compared to ASIO multiclient operation

Which is one reason why I am stuck with driver 2.94 (3) for my HDSP9652 in Nuendo. All the WDM drivers have caused me major problems, especially when trying to use mutiple apps. The "share ASIO driver" feature in Nuendo may work with the RME WDM drivers, but not very well. God help me if I want to adjust something on the UAD control panel - play stops. Oh no - I want to use Melodyne - play stops. What about Acid WITHOUT Rewire? Play stops. Same for Sound Forge, etc, etc., etc., etc. The loss of MME drivers in the newer WDM (which Mathias boldly boasts will "never be added again") is a huge loss for the end user and a big mistake in my opinion. Sharing ASIO drivers is a concept that has no rhyme or reason - it NEVER works properly without side effects, resulting in loss of work flow.

I cannot figure out why MME was dropped in the WDM drivers. Who or what were the beneficiaries? What new features that were NOT in the 2.94 drivers are in there, and are they worth the loss of MME driver ease alongside ASIO? Or is there some sort of Sonar or Mac compatibility issue that drove this policy?

Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer, Arranger, Guitarist, Theologian

Hi,

mb2 wrote:

Even if i activate just 1+2 in logic

How exactly do you do so? The "Max I/O streams" setting in Logic is the only way to do this.

and then 7+8 for wavelab it results in a wavelab-error-message "engine blocked by another application" or so. If i run logic 1+2 and than try to play a sound thru foobar 3+4 all i hear from foobar is nothing.

Can you play sound through Foobar while Wavelab is running? Possibly there is an issue with the obsolete Logic 5...

Multiclient asio with the fireface 400 does not work at all.

I can assure you it does. If you had read through this thread closely, you would have found an explanation for why the FF may behave somewhat differently from other soundcards. Nevertheless, ASIO multiclient operation does work.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ted,

Ted Perlman wrote:

Which is one reason why I am stuck with driver 2.94 (3) for my HDSP9652 in Nuendo. All the WDM drivers have caused me major problems, especially when trying to use mutiple apps. The "share ASIO driver" feature in Nuendo may work with the RME WDM drivers, but not very well.

Not sure which feature you are referring to exactly. But unless WDM is being used by another application or by the OS, it should not interfere with ASIO operation.

God help me if I want to adjust something on the UAD control panel - play stops. Oh no - I want to use Melodyne - play stops. What about Acid WITHOUT Rewire? Play stops. Same for Sound Forge, etc, etc., etc., etc.

Sorry if this appears to be a silly question, but have you activated the "Release ASIO driver in the background" option in Nuendo by any chance? I'd assume you are using Melodyne, Sound Forge, etc. with ASIO as well, aren't you?

The loss of MME drivers in the newer WDM (which Mathias boldly boasts will "never be added again") is a huge loss for the end user and a big mistake in my opinion. Sharing ASIO drivers is a concept that has no rhyme or reason - it NEVER works properly without side effects, resulting in loss of work flow.

I have a suspicion that this may be user or configuration error of some sort - the fact that there is WDM does not have a direct influence on the way ASIO works (and neither does MME). Mind that ASIO multiclient operation requires the use of separate channels for each application, which must be deactivated in other ASIO applications (channels can be mixed subsequently in Totalmix).

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

48 (edited by Ted Perlman 2007-12-12 10:32:59)

RME Support wrote:

Sorry if this appears to be a silly question, but have you activated the "Release ASIO driver in the background" option in Nuendo by any chance? I'd assume you are using Melodyne, Sound Forge, etc. with ASIO as well

Having the "release ASIO drivers in background" box checked (the only option if the WDM drivers are installed) causes Nuendo to pause for a few seconds when switching back. Hence the "play stops" part of my post. A real pain for working. Now (using the 2.94 drivers), I can go back and forth instantly into other programs, and everybody plays immediately. I don't have to deactivate channels in Nuendo (I use all 24 channels/inputs for my ADI-8's). Who wants to go through that? And how come I seem to be the only HDSP9652 user who has brought this issue up?

Please put the MME feature back in. "release ASIO in background" + WDM is not a better option - it doesn't work better.

(thanks for giving me the chance to use the word "hence" in a sentence  :-)

Regards,

Ted "Theo" Perlman
Producer, Arranger, Guitarist, Theologian

Ted Perlman wrote:

Having the "release ASIO drivers in background" box checked (the only option if the WDM drivers are installed)

I'm afraid I don't quite see the connection... I've only got Nuendo 2 here, but I can leave the option unchecked and Nuendo will happily record and play back in the background, and that is with the WDM drivers installed... This is not an issue of ASIO Multiclient operation or WDM drivers as such.

Maybe you've selected the channels you wish to use for Nuendo as Windows standard device also?

And how come I seem to be the only HDSP9652 user who has brought this issue up?

Because this is not a general issue or problem of the WDM drivers.

Please put the MME feature back in. "release ASIO in background" + WDM is not a better option - it doesn't work better.

Playback in the background works on my machine... An "MME feature" will not help here, your problem must be elsewhere... Mail or call me, then we'll try to find out what causes this.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

first i have to thank you for your quick answer. Secondly i have to admit that i mixed up asio with wdm in wavelab.
So fundamentally, asio-multiclient works with the fireface. But not if you like crackling sound in logic and wavelab.

To answer your qestions, daniel. Yes i do use the "Max I/O streams" settings for limiting the used outputs in logic.
Secondly, if i use wavelab and foobar together on different outputs of the fireface then i get crackling sound in wavelab.
Finally asio-multiclient does not work for me reliable.
Logic 5.51 might be obsolete, but until now it worked for me perfectly and i didn't like to update resulting to be forced to
switch to new hardware just because a company ( apple) tells you that. 

After hours of testing different combinations i got aware of another problem:
even if i play audiostreams on one single application at a time, i get occasional cracklings and drops in the sound. This happens independent from which software it comes or from which machine (3 different Firewire-chips, one machine has a ti-chip)
and which buffersize is activated. No background apps were running. Always fresh installed winxpsp2 fully updated
with  KB885222-v2-x86 firewire-patch. Two different firewire cables tested. Fireface-asio-drivers only.

I come to the conclusion that using firewire for interfaces is far away from a professional and reliable pci solution.
These troubles are just annoying and time consuming.
On the other hand the fireface 400 has such a clean crispy sound that it would be truely sad to give it back.

cheesy