Topic: Feature request in TotalMix FX - external FX send

Hi,

I've used the UFX and Babyface since they came out and I absolutely love the interfaces. I've done FOH with the UFX on several occations and it's worked out quite well, even though I'm using a cheap Behringer BCF2000 controller. The only thing I'm really missing (apart from EQ and dynamics control over Mackie Control) is a post fader send or several - to external outputs. At the moment we've got the fx send on each channel for sending some part of the signal to the built in effects of the UFX/Babyface. I use external processors and would love to get post fader FX send.

If one could possibly assign an output mono or stereo fader pair or the FX send to an external output, I'd be eternally happy. Is that something remotely possible with TotalMix FX?

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Re: Feature request in TotalMix FX - external FX send

Due to its overall design TM always works like that. You just have to activate the TrimGains mode, on one channel or globally, to have all outputs being able to work as FX send.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Due to its overall design TM always works like that. You just have to activate the TrimGains mode, on one channel or globally, to have all outputs being able to work as FX send.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I'm aware of the TrimGains mode, but it'll affect all sends. Say I've got the vocals on channel x sent to aux 1-3 (pre fader). The musicians have got their feed and are happy with their respective monitor levels. If I want to turn up or down the FOH mix on the main out, the aux 1-3 won't be affected but if I want what happens on my FX send(s) to follow the main mix (post fader), the only way is to use TrimGains, and it also ruins my monitor mixes. Also I've found that TrimGains work irradically at times.

Anyways I was just wondering if this was possible with a software upgrade.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Congratulations, you really have understood TM FX! What is needed here is a 'selective' or configurable local TrimGains function. This might come one day, but not soon, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

+1

I refer to my earlier observations on the TMFX TrimGain operation, as it seems the need for this flexibility is now being more widely recognised, and has a place somewhere on TMFX development plan.

So we all talk the same language, can a name be agreed for this feature?  "Flexible Trim Gain" will do me.

Now it only needs similar attention to FX send assignment, and I believe TMFX will be much closer to the objective of being truly able to replace an analog mixer.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

This feature would be greatly appreciated!

panatrope wrote:

So we all talk the same language, can a name be agreed for this feature?  "Flexible Trim Gain" will do me.

In reality, Trim Gain is actually "vertical fader groups" if you visualise submixes as being "stacked" one on top of the other.  As "horizontal fader groups", ie., grouping faders in the same submix 'horizontally', has now reached a new level of flexibility in TMFX, exactly the same concept could now be extended to grouping flexibly the faders for the same channel in different submixes. 

(OK, strictly speaking in a spatial sense, the layers are behind or in front of the viewing screen, but the notion of vertical 'layers' is now well accepted in currently digital mixer operations.)

The Trim Gain button in each submix then becomes the means of selecting whether the fader in that layer is grouped.  While at first glance it would seem logical for there to be only one vertical 'group' per channel, no doubt someone else (not me) will come up with a valid operational reason for more than one group ... but I'm not going there.

A mechanism for displaying such grouping in the matrix might be useful, otherwise a popup on mousing the (possibly renamed) Trim Gain button showing grouped submixes could be informative.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Ich habe häufig den Fall, dass ich Sprachbeschallungen live mixe. Da sind dann zwei bis vier Mikrofone, aber auf der anderen Seite benötige ich für verschiedene Beschallungszonen und das (externe) Recording unterschiedlich einzustellende Outputs - am besten sogar mit eigenem Delay. Über Trim Gain zu mischen kommt meinem Verständnis nach nicht in Frage weil ich dann a) nicht mehr per Solo in den Kanal hineinhören kann, und b) der Compressor/Expander hinsichtlich seiner Arbeitspunkte stets mit angepasst werden müsste.

Bei einem üblichen Mischpult würde man den Output schlicht "Post Fader" setzen. In TotalMix könnte man hierfür eine weitere Mixebene, z.B. eine Fader Master-Ebene einfügen.