Topic: FF400 not so important but interesting problem

Hi,

we use a FF400 for our Live shows. So we have to connect/disconnect it quite often. We use a Macbook Pro (FW800 to FW 400 cable, a short one which is working fine after having trouble/dropouts/errors with many others) running Logic Pro for our playback tracks.

Problem: soundcheck, everything connected, FF400 found by the Mac, pressing start in Logic, locator is rolling - but Logic won't playback anything, level meters not showing anything, no alert message!

(a bit violent) Solution: disconnecting the FW cable while Logic is running, waiting for error msg, reconnect and voila - here we go, everything fine.

Interesting fact: the problem only appears during soundcheck. When we leave for dinner/resting we always keep the computers with us while the FF400 stays on stage. Getting back to the venue some hours later, we reconnect the Mac to the FF400 and it works fine instantly?! It seems like the problem only exists after the FF400 haven't been used for lets say at least 6 hours and is relocated to another stage. Already tried some possible solutions (i.e. switch of external power during that time, leave it on... no effect)

Next day, next gig - same procedure...

Any ideas? (Might be not too hardware friendly to connect and disconnect the FF400 while the Mac is running couple of times a week)

Re: FF400 not so important but interesting problem

You better use the switch (if without power-supply) or pull the power-supply cable instead.

Is the Mac in Sleep while you are away or do you turn it off?

3 (edited by extrawelt 2011-08-04 12:11:03)

Re: FF400 not so important but interesting problem

Hi timur, thanks for your answer.

I do remove the Macbook from stage after the soundcheck. And I do use the external power supply to ensure best system stability on stage. I'll check if your solution does the thing, too.