Topic: Babyface Balanced Outputs

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Babyface to my Hifi preamp - which has RCA inputs. To go from balanced to unbalanced from the Babyface, would I need to make sure the connector I used floated pin 3 from the XLR, or could it be grounded with pin 1?

The connector I'm looking at is this, which connects pins 1 and 3:

http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_ … etail.aspx

Are the outs on the Babyface impedance or active balanced? I've read it's not a good thing to have pin 3 grounded if they're active balanced...

Am I going about this the right way??!

Many thanks!

Chris

Re: Babyface Balanced Outputs

Anyone interested in making cables and having a good audio system reference book should consider purchasing The Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones, also known as:

ISBN-10: 0881889008
ISBN-13: 978-0881889000.

It provides information on every aspect of audio system theory, design, and setup. Chapter 15 contains all the information and pictures needed to make every possible analog audio cable. I bought my copy in 1995 and still refer to it on a regular basis. If you only want to buy one book about audio systems this would be highly recommended smile

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

Click on: Wiring, Interconnection & Grounding

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Thanks very much for the links guys, I appreciate it. Before I do delve in to modding my breakout cable, I just wanted to double check with someone from RME that this would be the correct thing to do?

Surely it can't be a particularly uncommon thing to hook up the Babyface to an unbalanced hifi amp?

Chris

Hi Chris,

This adapter.
http://www.neutrik.com/uk/en/audio/210_ … etail.aspx
Or this one will work fine.
http://www.hosatech.com/product/68628/G … A_to_XLR3F

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Hi Chris!

Funny, I ordered that Neutrik one about half an hour ago. I just wanted to triple check - in that connector, pin 3 is connected with pin 1 to ground. It says in the Babyface manual to make sure pin 3 is disconnected to avoid higher THD - so should I just open up the connector and disconnect it manually?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes.if needed. It should be fairly easy to do on the Neutrik.
Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Cool, thanks very much Chris.

I am using BF for signal measurement. I notice even with the pin 3 connecting to pin 1 ground, it will still raise the noise floor around 10dB. So if you can find good transformers and not so concern low frequency response, you will be better off by using audio transformers.