Topic: Unwanted distortion on Fireface UFX

Hello,

I have a Fireface UFX connected via USB to a MAC and record guitar with SM57 and/or Beyer M-160.
I put the mic's either directly into the XLR input of the Fireface UFX (port 9,10,11 or 12) or I put an Universal Audio SOLO-610 preamp or Golden-Age pre-73 preamp in front of the Fireface UFX XLR inputs.

With either of those connection whether it be the mic directly into the UFX or first into an additional preamp...the sound is distorted.

Meaning the guitar amp is set very clean but it sound like there is some gain added to the sound creating unwanted distortion.

When I use an additional preamp in front of the UFX the gain of the UFX ports is set to 0.

I assume that this is not normal, so where should I look to fix this?

Thx in advance,

Jan

Re: Unwanted distortion on Fireface UFX

Your preamps should plug into the rear inputs, which do not have additional preamp.

When the mic is plugged in directly, what level is seen in top row of TotalMix FX? Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried routing the input signal to Phones via TotalMix, without the recording software involved? Which driver/firmware have you installed, and which OS version do you use?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Re: Unwanted distortion on Fireface UFX

Hello Jeff,
Thx for your quick reply.
I took me a while but I found the issue...it was a faulty cable.
I also checked my firmware (342) and driver (1.52)..which are upgraded to the latest now.

So...all sounds perfect now.

With regards to the additional preamps...I will put the in input 1 to 8 as from now.
But I thought that the quality of the front inputs was better, that is mainly the reason why used these inputs previously!

Many thx again for your accurate reply.

rgds,

Jan