Topic: windows stereo device order all goofy

In any of the dropdowns showing the various stereo devices for my Digiface, the order is all messed up and intermingled with the other devices on my system. Can anyone tell me how to get this all back in order again? Thanks.

Dave "It's A Dry Heat" Labrecque
Tucson, Arizona, USA

Re: windows stereo device order all goofy

This is a (very annoying) Windows 'feature'...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This doesn't have too keep an application from using at least alphabetic ordering. They don't even have to do that on their own, because there is a part in the Registry where all Wave and DirectMusic audio devices are listed in alphabetical order. Media Player Classic uses that list for example.

So I'd also call it laziness on the coders side.

I think Dave talks about Windows' own lists within the Sound control panel. Apart from that an alphabetical ordering doesn't make sense either (ADAT first, then Analog, then the first channels which are called 'Loudspeaker', then SPDIF...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Timur 2011-08-14 14:08:58)

Windows Sound control panel is at least sorted by device and usually all ADAT are kept together and "Loudspeaker" comes first. It's far worse in Wave/DM dialogs of Reaper or Live where not only outputs of single devices are in arbitrary order, but different devices are mixed up as well.

May be fixable via Registry, but not easily, and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Yes, I guess I mean both applications drop down menus as well as Windows sound devices menus through Control Panel. I think they're both messed up. Is there no fix for this? No way to get all my Digiface outs to order properly in these lists?

I just did a clean install of Windows 7, and this is how they look right out of the gate. ed:

Tucson, Arizona, USA

Timur wrote:

May be fixable via Registry, but not easily, and I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

I would think that each driver update will screw up the order again. Not worth the hassle.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wow. So, I'm not the only one dealing with a random order of all the devices in the drop-downs? It's pretty much just the way it is?  ed:

Tucson, Arizona, USA

How often do you have to select (or change the selection) in such lists? Annoying yes, but no showstopper IMHO...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
Timur wrote:

I would think that each driver update will screw up the order again. Not worth the hassle.

I already took a look into the registry and it seems that Windows allocates a long and *random* (?) number to each stereo pair with no apparent order (neither name nor installation date/order).

It may be though that once an input/output is given a number that it wont change with subsequent updates. If that would be the case then maybe the numbers can be changed.

It's nothing too important for me - especially since I still blame application more than Windows/RME driver for not sorting this - but my curiosity might drive me to changing one of those numbers for a test. :-°

MC wrote:

How often do you have to select (or change the selection) in such lists? Annoying yes, but no showstopper IMHO...

Good point. I guess using SAWStudio, I was having to play a lot with the I/O device settings when trying to sort out some technical issues with my UAD-1 cards. But now that that's sorted out, I only really come across it whenever I need to make some I/O changes for an app. It's not that frequent any more, but, yeah, still annoying. I guess I'll try to settle into your "try not to worry about it" mindset, Matthias.  :-)

Still -- I guess it just bugs me when stuff doesn't work the way it "obviously should". :-O  wink

Tucson, Arizona, USA

Hi All,

Noticed you were all talking about altering the order of audio devices in the Windows 7 registry?

I'm using some "legacy" software which relied on the fact that on good 'ahem' old windows the audio devices were in a defined order in the registry... now that they are not, my wave files play out of random ports on my RME card! Did anyone get anywhere with deciphering the registry around this issue?

Many Thanks