Topic: Can I leave a FW 800 cable *and* a FW 400 cable connected all times ?

I am waiting for a Mac Book Pro (2011) which now has only a FW800 connection on it, while my main system will remains a Win desktop DAW.  Since access at the back is quite tricky here, I was wondering if I can leave a FW800 cable connected permanently in the Fireface 800 even while I am working with my PC with the FW400 connction, and vice versa (when I will work with the Mac).

My intent is also to avoid absolutely to have both the Mac and PC connected at same time while working... (unless you tell me it would not be a concern ??...)

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Can I leave a FW 800 cable *and* a FW 400 cable connected all times ?

I recently put the FF800 in a new rack and decided to do exactly what you are asking - leave a cable plugged in and accessible to both the FW400 and FW800 ports.  In my case, both of these are adapter cables that end in a 4-pin connector. 

With two (2) Presonus Digimax FS connected to the FF800, I use the FF800 for both a live front-end and as a recording interface.
The reason behind having both cables plugged into the FF is to facilitate a quick change over in case one of the ports malfunctions.

I never have both cables in active use with a computer as I only have one laptop with one 4-pin port.  So far, I have had no issues using either one of the ports.  I will be interested to hear what RME says about the question of dual computer access, but I suspect this would be a "no-no".

--Dean

HDSP9652 w/ AEB4-I/O - FireFace800 - 2 x Presonus Digimax FS - FriendChip DMX16/18