Topic: midi control of submix again

I know I've posted this before but have had no response from any users out there or from RME.
I'm trying to control sub-mixes, mostly of the input faders in total mix, with midi controllers. I know this is possible, but I want to be able to control several separate sub-mixes at the same time using two or more different midi control input devices. The purpose is to allow musicians to control there own headphone mixes in a recording studio, without interfering with each others sub-mix.
So far I have had limited success by using midi ox to send a sub-mix selection CC on midi channel 13 for every change in a CC for the input fader.
This way to mixes can be controlled simultaneously as the CC's become interleaved. Unfortunately this method results in a very large latency of the faders.
Does anybody have any suggestions for a better way to do this?
The only thing I think would really work would be if the total mix software enabled separate CC's for each input fader on a per submix basis rather than a submix selection CC and the same CC for each fader.
Any chance of the development team implementing something like this?

thanks Greg

2 (edited by Gregmac 2011-08-19 07:23:36)

Re: midi control of submix again

Does support even read these forums? I've had  no response so far, Ive written to the email support twice. Not even an acknowledgment that they received the mail.
Anyway I think now that the latency issue  is mostly caused by the selection of the submix in the GUI. If a submix selection CC is sent for each change in value of a particular fader then the GUI does it's submix selection routine 128 times for a full fader movement. If two faders are moved at once it would be 256 times etc. Presumably each selection involves bidirectional communication on the firewire buss which would add further to the latency and load on the system.
So to solve the problem would probably be to have an option to disallow the change of focus in the GUI for midi selection of the submix bus, though I imagine the target for incoming CC's is determined by the GUI focus.
The option of not having to change GUI focus would also make sense for remote mixing even from a single remote user. I mean if you are not looking at the screen it wouldn't matter. The GUI could be updated only when the focus is changed by the mouse or there could be an option for either mouse or midi.

cheers  Greg

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you.  Just wanted to say this is a fantastic idea!  I can envision a situation where band members have IEMs and an iPad running AC-7 core or something similar, each having total control over his/her mix.  Seems like the UFX should be able to handle this with an updated driver.  The UFX would then not only be an interface and a standalone recorder, but also the hub of an IEM system similar to an Aviom set up.

I hope RME sees the great opportunity here.

Yes that's right I'm thinking something with the functionality of an Aviom system. It could be done with just a simple midi controller, part of the idea that I had was that using a $50 or less midi controller (korg nano) would enable something similar to an Aviom at a far cheaper cost $3000 for a 6 way setup versus $300 and a 6 way headphone amp, ah yes and of course you would need usb over cat 5 extenders which are only about $10 each on ebay and a USB hub. This would be good for a studio, maybe a band would want to go wireless with Ipads. Actually Ipads or any wireless laptop functioning as a midi controller would mean less cables to lay out for each player.

cheers  Greg

Hello,

please excuse the delay. I'm afraid I can't really offer a solution. TM
was not designed to be controlled with more than one controller. We are
not currently planning to develop such a feature specifically.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the reply.
It wasn't really whether or not one or to or more controllers were controlling TM that mattered, it was the ability to simultaneously adjust two different submixes. I guess that would mean either having a different CC for each fader and pan in every submix. Maybe there isn't enough CC's to control a every fader in a 64 channel TM setup, but if it was just say 64 inputs to 32 stereo pairs or better still they were assignable until you ran out of CC's it would be great.
I can see you might not be able to put that into the firmware for stand alone operation but surely in TM software it could be done?
The other option would be have it so the midi selection of the submix doesn't change the GUI submix focus, assuming that's what causes the latency problems when sending submix selection CC's along with each change in value of a given faders CC's.
I know the scope fusion platform offers midi learn of all mixer functions (dam why did I sell my creamware card) and the old yamaha DSP factory cards did it to.
With the price of an Aviom system my money goes to the first interface I can find that is as good as RME but enables more complete midi control.

cheers  Greg

That's a great idea!

I'm using the UFX while performing live, and now I'm limited to re-routing my audio thru adats (for effects), and I have to select a different submix each time I want to adjust levels for different effects, or to control the overall level of the instruments in trim mode. Totally free midi control would be simply awesome and free us to make even more flexible routings for audio too! (perhaps a midi learn mode - for every parameter in every submix? )

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic