1 (edited by max2004 2011-08-18 20:18:31)

Topic: RME Babyface hum problem

Hi,
since week ago I use RME Babyface, and there are some problems. 1) When the headphones is connect to unit, and use knob (volume control on unit), I hear hum/like electric noise/ when I touch the knob and move it slowly. I think that it was some electric problem, but when I turn off computer, unnplugged the unit from computer, I hear still this voices! I don't know what it is. This hum (like electric voice) is only when I touch the knob and move it slowly (not fast). What's going on?
Next question- 2) when I use the unit with computer , I hear hum/noise/ on max volume (I use phones). It is normal? I had HDSP 9632 before and there werent any problems like that.
Thanks.

Re: RME Babyface hum problem

Anybody who use RME Babyface have that same "problems"? Please help.

Have you tried more than one set of headphones?

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC

I tried two kind of phones /manufacturs/-Beyerdynamic and Philips. Same situation.

Different computer?

Ok. I've checked everything once again. So, it looks like some kind of electric problem- only when I touch the wheel (knob) or unit, I hear in headphones - electric voices (like short circuit). Unit was connect to the desktop. When I unplugg desktop + babyface from grid, the voices dissapear,nothing. Second, I also have problem with wheel (like some other users), it looks like here - http://www.rme- forom audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12036 . I have silver edition. And last thing, When I work in Windows, I hear hum (in phones at >0 DB in total mix) + some electric voices when I touch the unit. I've checked the unit on three diffrent desktops. Those problems are the same. What should I do?

max2004 same problem !!!.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12129

:-(

8 (edited by max2004 2011-08-29 11:17:51)

Ok, Bandido, I know that you have problem with hum, but what about "electric voice - like short circuit ?" - Do you hear that in your phones when you turn on laptop/turn off (but use with AC power)? I hear that voices, especially when I turn off desktop, but also hear in system - windows. Anybody who has Babyface blue, black, red etc. also has that problems? Because I dont know what to do now. Also, I wrote that I have problem with wheel (knob).... And what now RME? I buy interface, for 550 Euro and now I must have that issues? Warranty?

Hello max2004.

I hear two kinds of noise:

1.- When i touch touchpad on my laptop.
2.- Ground noise.

I bought a babyface for these reasons:

1.- It's RME. And I trust in RME. I think that they have the best customer service, best drivers, updates, etc.
2.- I see reviews that say that Babyface sound is "really clean".
3.- It has ADAT in.

Now, I'm frustrated. I can't record!!!!.

Hey, a guy in this thread got his unit exchanged and the problem resolved:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12070

It sounds to me your noise is not only from the desktop but also other connecting devices, why not discoonectting them one by one to locate the source?

Hi ywan03, so i have plugg only RMe babyface to desktop and mouse, nothing more, no breakout cable, phones connected to 3/4 out. No w-fi cards, no others PCI devices.
Also , last time I hear pops, and clicks in windows, when I e.g. open Windows media player, open Total mix, or sometimes open a sequencer. I did also one more test- plug the unit (RMe babyface) only to motherboard (without CPU, fan, graphic card, monitor) and next to grid. Same - electric voices,  still in Phones 3/4 out. I think to sell babyface.

12 (edited by ywan03 2011-09-01 15:26:07)

Hi max2004,
I understand your fustration over this as I have been through similar situation often. The challenge is always to pinpoint the issue.
Presumably your headphone is plugged in the BBF. If you have a realy bad ground, pull the headphone plug out and touch the tip to the BBF socket outer conductor, you should hear the ground loop noise, the worse the ground the louder the noise. But you are always going to hear something this way. If you have a multimeter, switch to AC Volt, one pen to your hand one pen to the outer conductor, you should get around or less than 10 Volts, if it's very high, say tens of volts, that means your desktop has very bad or no ground as your BBF ground =headphone socket outer conductor=XLR metal case= USB 5V ground=desktop metal case= grid earth pin. The resistence between these points should be the lower the better, say less than 1 ohm.
OK, I was able to reproduce this fault as the following. Funny enough, Apple Macbook Pro power adapter is supplied with two connection methods, one with a cable and it has ground pins in the grid connector, the other one is a simple adapter to suit different country standard which has only 2 pins! no ground connection! By using this no ground connection, I was able to hear the electricity noise if I use a high sensitivity headphone (Bose QC2) and switch the volume in totalmix to maximum. And the AC voltage between my hand and BBF case is about more than 30 VAC!

If I were you I would carefullly check if your grid ground pin is working or not.

Why some equipment will still work OK under such environment? The answer is if the audio has balance input and output plus isolation transformers, if equipment uses traditional transformer based linear power supply instead of switching mode regulators without ground pin.....

But isolation transformer can compromise audio quality, I guess, and increase the size and weight of the device.
Hope you get  this sorted

13 (edited by max2004 2011-09-01 22:07:39)

Thanks ywan03 for your posts. I regret that no-one from RME support didn't answer.....;( Ok, I will check the unit in other location (and other desktops). But I have question for also other Babyface users -does your wheel in Babyface "moving/knockin/" like mine -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcmd9sOCdpI ?

Hum and noise issues can be the most difficult to troubleshoot. AES Toronto has archived the podcast video and presentation slides of the "Hum Buzz and Ground Loops" Presentation by Jensen Transformer CEO Bill Whitlock delivered in April 2010 to AES Toronto Section. The files are at the following page link:
http://www.torontoaes.org/archive/

As for the Babyface knob, it can be replaced under warranty if it is defective as noted in this thread:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12036

I hope this helps

best regards,
Blair Francey
Fireface 802/ARC USB; HDSP Multiface x 2; 2023 AMD Windows 10 Custom PC