Topic: Expanding Multiface I - which way?

Hi,

im plannig to buy a second Multiface (in addition to my 10 year old workhorse) and was thinking about how i set up the 2.

do i got things right?

- 1 Hammerfall PCI- card  connected to the 1st Multiface, this connected via adat in AND out to the second
will give me 8 additional in/out but no additional midi?

- both multiface each with it's own pci card and no connection via adat at all will give me also 16in/out but with midi?
(how can i use these 2 seperate cards in ablton simultanously?

- both multiface each with it's own pci card and connection via adat in/out  will give me also 16in/out but with midi?
i select 1st card in ableton which gets the additional 8in/out from second card via adat. also i can select the midi in/out from
second card in ableton seperately?

thanks for enlightment!

m:o

2 (edited by ChrisLudwig 2011-08-19 14:40:27)

Re: Expanding Multiface I - which way?

Hi M,
When using 2 Multiface each with their own PCI/PCI-e cards the driver sees them as one device so all the Ableton or other ASIO driver based  applications will is that you now have a 36 channel sound card instead of an 18 channel one.
Channels 1-8 will be the first unit and channels 19-26 will be the 2nd units analog.
You will also need a word clock cable to run from the out of unit 1 to the WC in of unit 2. Set the first units clock to master/internal  and the second to autosync/ADAT.

Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ok, thanks for the info.
what if i just buy another multiface without pci card and use it just as 8 in/ou via adat?
can i adjust the level routing of the second unit once and for all? means i switch power on and all ins are routed to the adats out to the second
Multiface?

HI,
The 2nd unit needs a PCI/PCI-e card to set the routing. If the 2nd Multiface loses power then all the routing is lost and you have to re do it.
Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

ok, clears things up.
thank you

6 (edited by sorgenkind 2011-08-19 20:57:02)

Hi mo
I'm going to do almost the same, with multiface MKII but the hints in this post might be of some help to you as well:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12047
I'm gonna use the second MF as a DA converter, routing ADAT from the main unit, so I'll have 16 analog outs, I'll try tomorrow or sunday and I'll report.

7 (edited by m:o 2011-08-20 00:01:40)

Thanks for your hint!
Hey, i'm curious about how you're doing.

I tried to use the second MF as ADAT expansion. No good. Forget about it.

Now I have 3 MF's with 3 pci cards. Works like charm. Very recommended.