Topic: Babyface and Lion OSX - CPU spikes

Hello. Anyone else getting this problem?  All is fine, then after the Mac being switched on for a few hours, I start getting regular CPU spikes (every few seconds) with clicks and glitches when playing back audio in my DAW (Cubase 6, 32bit). It's like having a PC!

They seem to go away when I switch to Built In Audio as my ASIO driver, which makes it seem like it's the BabyFace drivers causing the problem.

The problem also goes away for a while when I reboot the Mac.

It isn't related to any plugins or CPU overload. It happens even on very light projects with just a few audio tracks and only 1 or 2 effect plugins.

I have the latest available drivers and firmware.  Is this a known issue?

Thanks

Dan

Re: Babyface and Lion OSX - CPU spikes

seems quiet in here. everyone on holiday?

Could you post a sample project (preferably with only internal Cubase effects)?

hi Timur. It happens universally on all projects after the Mac has been on for a few hours, so hardly much point posting any particular project.

In a test today I in fact saw that the cpu spikes were still there with Built In Audio as my ASIO driver, and the problem also disappeared after a reboot.  Therefore the problem doesn't seem to be with the Babyface, but something to do with Lion and/or Cubase 6.0.3 +Lion.

Happens here also with other programs on Lion (e.g. Final Cut Pro X).

best regards
Knut

Hi Knut.  If it happens with multiple programs, and indeed it happens with Built-In Audio, then it looks as if this is a pure Lion audio issue, and not related to any other software or your drivers.

Would you agree with this?

If so, the workaround until Apple fix this seems to be either (a) go back to Snow Leopard or (b) reboot your Mac every few hours.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks

Dan

Sounds about right to me... I would tend to disagree with the statement "It's like having a PC!", though... cool

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Looking around forums I found a suggested fix:

type in Terminal: sudo killall coreaudiod

...which restarts core audio.  Next time I get the dancing cpu meter I'll give this a try. It's faster than rebooting at least...

I finally got a chance to try the above fix (restarting core audio) and... it doesn't work.

Looks like rebooting is the only workaround for now....

dagmarpiano wrote:

Looking around forums I found a suggested fix:

type in Terminal: sudo killall coreaudiod

...which restarts core audio.  Next time I get the dancing cpu meter I'll give this a try. It's faster than rebooting at least...

Hey that's good!! This one works for after wake from sleep issues with the BFace.. post Lion install!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Hi all,

I'm on OSX Lion 10.7.2 beta, and here BFace doesn't work at all.
Tried reinstalling driver
Tried "sudo killall coreaudiod"
Tried reboot with and without Bface connected.

Symptom:
Fireface USB settings hangs
Totalmix hangs
and if I unplug the BFace, I have no built-in coreaudio sound working. Have to kill coreaudiod to get it working again.

Bface worked with Lion beta and 10.7.0, but not in 10.7.1 and .2

Solutions?

Best,
Pål

mattrixx wrote:

Hey that's good!! This one works for after wake from sleep issues with the BFace.. post Lion install!

Matt!!
Naughty, naughty - what are you doing installing Lion at this early stage of the game :roll

:-):-):-)

Ha ha!!! Different machine Geoff! LOL! Just havin' a play to see who is working.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

Ha ha!!! Different machine Geoff! LOL! Just havin' a play to see who is working.

Ok.....all is forgiven cool