Topic: Babyface Blues

I'm a classical pianist living in Thailand.  I was recently sent a grand piano to make recordings of music for the piano manufactures using the harmonic pedal.  I bought an Earthworks piano mic, babyface and headphones in USA.  I'm not a sound engineer so am having a VERY hard time getting used to the abbreviations, dial, sliders and so on in TotalMix.  I've watched the video tutorials which just run though the old software and please excuse me, but they are not helping me as a musician understand what each TotalMix element is for specifically - rather they seem an itinerary of the software's available elements and it's assumed you would know. 

I can get a recording from my piano mic, but frustrating can't get the babyface to playback recordings.  I'm using Logic Express.  As a solution, far from ideal, I go into Logic's sound preferences and deselect babyface and go for the internal mics, apply changes and so on.  Back and forwards.  There must be a better way.  My headphones are plugged into the side of babyface.   I've been clicking left right up and down on anything and everything - nothing happens (for 2 long days).  I'm in AN/12 trying to make something happen.  I've selected phones on the babyface and so on. 

Can anyone please - in simple day to day English language, not in anymore sound engineering jargon! - help me get to playback my recordings?  I  (I use iMac. btw)

Paul.

Re: Babyface Blues

From your description I think you just want to listen to the headphones output on the right but get no signal? To listen to the same signal on the headphones you have to route this signal directly to the headphone output. In the default state no signal from the software out is passed to the headphones - the signal from the audio software is passed only o the main outputs on the XLR breakout cable (AN 1/2).

But setting up a headphone mix is very easy:
- Reset TotalMix to the default state (click Total Reset in the menu Options / Reset Mix)
- click in the 3rd row of TotalMix (outputs) on the headphones channel (PH3/4): the channel gets brighter
- double click the fader of your Logic output in the 2nd row (this should be AN 1/2) - the fader jumps to 0 dB and passes the signal from Logic right through the headphones

To adjust the volume of your headphones press select on the Babyface until the Phones LED is on and turn the big encoder.

best regards
Knut