Topic: Fireface 400 on new iMac with i7 processor?

Hello

I would appreciate advices on this matter:

This is my first Mac (27" i7 processor, 16 GB RAM). I`m not sure if I should go for the fireface UC, or the fireface 400. I have been recommended the firewire solution. This has been a matter of discussion before in this forum. However, I am still uncertain.
Will there be any issues of bugs/incompatibility with fireface 400 and the new iMac? I`m a newbie here.I also wonder how the firewire 400 will work with the iMac`s firewire 800 port. I will need an adaptor, and do you have something to recommend? Will an adaptor cause problems/delays in transfer of data?

Thank you very much in advance

Re: Fireface 400 on new iMac with i7 processor?

The FF400 will work on the FF800 port via a simple FW800-to-FW400 cable. No more issues with the current Mac ports as far as compatibility is concerned. You should consider a Fireface UC (USB), too, if you don't need bus-powered operation, as it can be used with more computers (should your iMac be unavailable in the future).

Oberon, you can use the FW400-to-FW400 cable (6 pin-to-6 pin, 4 meters) which comes in the package of the Fireface 400. The FW800 port of the Mac is backwards compatible with FW400, so you don't need to buy a new cable FW800-to-FW400 (9 pin to 6 pin).

The FW400 plug does not fit into the port physically, which is why you need the FW800-to-FW400 cable. It's the same cable, but with a FW800 plug on one side.

Timur wrote:

The FW400 plug does not fit into the port physically, which is why you need the FW800-to-FW400 cable. It's the same cable, but with a FW800 plug on one side.

Yes, you are right Timur. The FW800 plug has a different physical design.

Thank you very much for your answers, Timur, and JimmyHoffa. I appreciate it!