1 (edited by zeoka 2011-09-11 16:23:58)

Topic: Input Levels Ff800

Hi
I would like to be sure i've the correct settings  with my rackattack hardware :
If i set the analog inputs to +4 sound is correct 
If i set them to -10 the sound is more "fat"
The outputs of rackattack are asymetric and the only spec i have is :
maximum level +10dbm  dynamic range 110db
The ff800 specs are :
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ Hi Gain: +19 dBu
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ +4 dBu: +13 dBu
Input/Output level for 0 dBFS @ -10 dBV: +2 dBV

What can i do with that ?

Thank you.

Re: Input Levels Ff800

If it sounds good it is good.  Why use a "more correct" setting if you loose the "fat" sound???  Adhering to rules and reference levels are a good place to start when learning, but breaking the rules to get the sounds you want is highly encouraged IMO...

To get a "correct" match, it looks like the RME's standard "+4" input setting would still net you +3dB of input headroom when the rackattack starts clipping.  But if the RME's "-10" setting sounds better, then the rackattack seems like its analog outputs might sound better at more conservative levels (well below the onset of clipping / possibly an output current limitation in the rackattack?)...

Set the RME to get the best level w/o clipping wherever you think the source unit sounds best (Otherwords, let the source unit's specific sound/volume relationship dictate where to set the RME's sensitivity to avoid clipping).  S/N will come into play at some point - but I'd be willing to sacrafice some noise floor for a better "fatter" sound...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Re: Input Levels Ff800

Thank you very much
To resume i must feel the sound first.....