Topic: Fireface UFX recording UFX effects from input channel 9-12

Hello,
Via the loopback function you can record the effects of input channel 1-8 from the UFX into Logic.

I would like to do the same thing with input channel 9-12, but it does not work!

I can record the effects with a few routing tricks in the matrix...but this give me a nasal kind of sound.

So, can we record the effects like reverb and echo coming from input channel 9-12 via the loopback function?
Or if there is another way...I certainly am interesting to know ;-).

Thx in advance,

Jan

Re: Fireface UFX recording UFX effects from input channel 9-12

Hello,

this could be a bug, but your description is unclear, so we were not able to find any fault or problem. What exactly are you doing and what is the state of the DSP Record Option in the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias,
I am using the input 9 and 10 pe for recording a guitar in Logic.  I use the send FX  to -9,0 and activate the reverd and Echo.
Input 9 and 10 are routed to main output and I select the Loopback function and set the FX return to -7,0.

When I record those channels in Logic and then listen to it...it is recorded without the FX.
If I activate the FX in the Playback channel then I hear the FX but this means that they are not recorded.

To be honest I though I could do  this on channel 1-8 but up untill now I only managed to do it with channel 1 and 2.
But when recording the guitar via those 2 channels all playback tracks are recorded through this as well.

The DSP option in the Dialog settings was not selected but when I turned it on (EQ+D for Record) it did not changed a thing.

I might be doing something wrong with the routing here...but I cannot find what I am doing wrong.

Many thx in advance,

Jan

Don't use the Main outs for your loopback. Any other channels will work (Out AN 3/4 for example), and they will not have the playback from Logic.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,
I routed input 9-10 to HW out 3-4 with loopback and FX return to -0,7...but it still records without the FX!!
If I select the FX send on the software playback it gives me the dry signal + FX.

Rgds,
Jan

In Logic, are you recording Input 9/10 or Input 3/4?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I am recording input 9/10.

Rgds,
Jan

This would record the dry input signal. You have to record the inputs corresponding to the looped output channels.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff,

But I route the input channels 9 and 10 to the harware output channels 3 and 4.
On output channel 3 and 4 I have selected the loopback function with FX return.

If I record input channel 3 and 4 route them to output 3 and 4 with loopback and FX return...I can record the FX.
Whatever the software playback channel is.

If I do the same thing but route input channel 3 and 4 to output channel 5 and 6 with loopback on and FX return.
I do not record the FX!!

Is this a bug or am I doing something fundamentally wrong here?
I am running FW351 and driver 1.59.

Thx in advance,

Jan

Can you explain this please, I don't understand exactly what you did.

If I record input channel 3 and 4 route them to output 3 and 4 with loopback and FX return...I can record the FX.
Whatever the software playback channel is.

If I do the same thing but route input channel 3 and 4 to output channel 5 and 6 with loopback on and FX return.
I do not record the FX!!

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

So, my external preamps go out into the physical input channel 3 and 4 in the back of the RME UFX.
In Logic I select input channel 3 and 4, which match exactly with the numbering of the UFX.

In totalmix I route the physical input 3 and 4 to the hardware output 3 and 4 and use the loopback on this channels with FX return.
There are no cables coming out these output since the main output is still 1 and 2.
If I do this then I can record the FX (being Reverb and Echo).

Another test was to use the same physical input channels but route them in totalmix to output channel 5 and 6 also here I selected the loopback function with FX return.  But it did not recorded the FX!! 
Also here are no cables coming out output 5 and 6 since the main output remains out 1 and 2.

My understanding of recording FX from the UFX is that you set the send FX on the input channel, select the proper FX, next route the physical input to any physical hardware output (except for the main output 1&2) and select the loopback function and set the FX return.

If this is not correct then the problems is with my understanding of the UFX routing capabilities ;-) and please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thx in advance for your support so far!!

Rgds,
Jan

> Another test was to use the same physical input channels but route them in totalmix to output channel 5 and 6 also here I selected the loopback function with FX return.  But it did not recorded the FX!!

Then there was no FX. Did you ever listen to outputs 5/6 to verify the correct signals?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello Matthias,
WHen listening to the studio monitors there was always FX but this comes from the main output of course.
To be honest I did not listened only to output 5/6.
What I will do tomorrow is to route only output 5/6 to the phones and listen to it.
Or do you prefer another option to listen to output 5/6?

Is there a way to create a sort of dump file from the UFX settings that I can send you guys?
Do you have some examples of a setup with FX and recording FX?

Thx in advance,
Jan.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the setup, but you can not use inputs 3/4 (or any other pair) both for physical input signal and loopback at the same time...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel,
I route the input single to an output and use the loopback on the output.

Can you guys describe me from a to z how to record the FX on a signal coming into input channel 9 to 12 into Logic or any other program?

Once more maybe I am doing something wrong...but I have a feeling we are talking about different things here ;-).

Thx in advance,

Jan

Simply unplug your monitors and connect them to outputs 5/6. This is the only way to find out what is going on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello,
I have done some more tests.
I connected the output 5&6 to the monitors and yes I hear the Reverb and Delay...with our without the loopback function.
But that should be normal since the loopback is there to route the traffic to the recording...rigth??

I have then recorded input 5 with FX send (rev+del) + routed input 5 to output 5 with FX return and loopback.
And yes I can record the FX.
One strange thing is that I hear that the Logic klicktrack is recorded as well.  This klicktrack is send to output 1-2 and there is no Loopback selected on track 1-2.  So that seems strange to me.
If I remove the loopback function from output 5 there are no FX recorded for signal coming from INPUT 5.  So this is working as it should besides the fact that with loopback on i record the klicktrack.

If I plugin my instrument in input 9 (MIC) and route it to output 5 with FX return and loopback...I do not record the FX!!!

So, I can conclude that the loopback function works until a certain degree.
Moreover if the input matches the output (so in-3 to out-3 or in-5 to out-5) and you select the necessary features you can record FX.
If I route in-3 to out-5 with all necessary features enable...I can't record FX...likewise for channel 9-12 because there is no phy out 9-12.

So, my 2cent question...is this working as designed or is it a bug?

Many thx so far for the support.

Rgds,
Jan

Hello,

Any news on this??

Thx in advance,

Jan

19 (edited by 4ndrw 2011-10-07 05:30:26)

found this thread on google
as I'm looking at upgrading from a UC to a UFX and was curious about recording effects

1) you're being very confusing when you explain your problem
2) I think you're misunderstanding how loopback works

now, I don't own one of these yet.. but reading your posts and comparing them to what people are telling you to do
my guess is that you're arming the wrong channels in Logic for record.

my understanding is "Loopback"
is a digital equivalent of connecting a hardware output from the interface into a hardware input using a patchlead..
..but without having to unnecessarily fiddle with patch cables at the back of your rack
or deal with losses due to unnecessary analog conversions

so if you're sending effects to output 3/4 and you have loopback switched on
you're kind of 'tricking' the computer into seeing the effects on input 3/4
(as if the signal had been sent out of output 3/4.. plugged into an external reverb unit.. and the output of the reverb unit is then connected to your interface inputs 3/4)

example.
if you are recording from physical input number 9
and you're sending the effects to output 3/4 with loop back on

you want to record enable inputs 3/4 inside logic
to record the wet signal
and record enable input 9 in logic if you want the dry signal

it may be a good idea to record both, as then you have a dry signal available in future in case you decide to change what effects you want to use on that track without having to repeat a performance.
and you can easily rebalance wet and dry levels (which is useful for effects like Reverb and Delay) while mixing

I hope this is of help
--Andrew