Topic: Midi Out 1 & 2 lights?

I posted a problem with stuck midi notes a few days ago and received no replies. I'm wondering if the following might be related?

The midi In 1 light on the front of the unit is lit. Fine. My Yamaha synth is connected via the Midi 1 In and Midi 1 Out receptacles of the breakout cable. This makes sense.

When I use the synth as a controller to record and play back VIs in Logic, the Midi In 1 light remains lit, and the Out 1 light does not come on. This seems to make sense as the sound is generated from within the computer.

However, when I record a midi track using the synth's sounds, both the Out 1 and Out 2 lights come on during both recording and playing back. Why would this be? After all, nothing is plugged into the Midi 2 In or Out receptacles on the breakout cable.

In any event, I get stuck notes when playing both VIs and the synths internal sounds.

Jim

Fireface UC, iMac i7 quad core, Logic 9.1.4, Yamaha S08 synth

Re: Midi Out 1 & 2 lights?

Hi again

Could someone confirm for me that only the Midi 1 light comes on when a controller keyboard is plugged into the midi 1 in & out cables on the breakout cable and that the Midi 2 light stays unlit. This would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

Hello? RME--are you out there?

I've asked a simple question. Twice. Should both MIDI out lights be one when a midi controller is plugged into the midi 1 receptacles of the breakout cable but nothing is plugged into the midi 2 receptacles? I can only conclude that the midi portion of the box is defective, though the audio end works fine.

Jim

Fireface UC, Logic 9.1.4, OS 10.6.8, Yahama S08 synth/controller

The MIDI IN 1 LED will stay lit if your controller is generating autosense data, this is continuous MIDI data from the keyboard. Only the active output LED should light up as MIDI data is passed, please check your MIDI I/O setup in Logic.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hey Jeff.

By "check your MIDI I/O setup in Logic" I assume you mean Apple's Audio MIDI setup application. If so, yes--I have connected the keyboard to the Fireface UC's MIDI in 1 and out 1. If you are referring to some other setting let me know. I know of no other settings within Logic which specify the interaction between the controller and the MIDI interface.

Just for clarification:
1. The MIDI In 1 light is continually on if the keyboard in turned on and connected.
2. Neither MIDI Out light comes on when I am play back a virtual instrument. Hanging notes occur routinely.
3. Both MIDI out lights come on when I play back sounds from within the synth. Hanging notes occur routinely.

Again, there are no problems if I use my other MIDI interface, a 1-in 1-out Edirol box. Because of this I rather doubt it's a Logic problem.

Jim