Topic: Fireface UFX: New TotalMix FX 0.95 for Windows and Mac

Hello,

this is the relase candidate for next monday. We would be glad about some feedback and tests. If you want (and can) follow the instructions below. Make sure to use the latest drivers before installing TM FX.

Attention: this version of TM FX requires the latest UFX firmware DSP 141, available here:

Windows: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … in_141.zip

Mac: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fu … ac_141.zip

Download of TM FX 0.95 pre2:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/tm … 95pre2.zip

Installation: exit TotalMix FX from the SysTray, then copy the new file into Windows\System32, overwriting the old one. Then start TotalMix FX or reboot the computer. Check the new version in the About dialog.

Fixes:

- Mute FX active on shutdown caused mismatch message

- Lots of smaller bugfixes

New/Changes:

- New feature 'AutoSet', an automatic gain reducer to prevent overloads. Available on the mic channels (9 to 12) for line and instrument. AutoSet tries to keep a headroom of 6 dB. Overloads (levels higher than -6 dBFS) will cause the gain to be reduced. To check set the channels to a high gain and apply an input signal. The button will quickly rotate back to a gain that is appropriate. AutoSet in the UFX is not exactly the same as in the Micstasy, especially its reaction time is longer. With extreme overloads (50 dB) you will hear distortion for less than a second before the level is set correctly. In real world it works quite well. Just give it a try!

Additional notes: using stereo channels AutoSet operates ganged. The user operation on the front display has changed. Mic/Gains now toggles from Mic 9/10 to Mic 11/12 to Meters. A push on Encoder 1/2 toggles AS on/off. As soon as AutoSet has reduced the gain the label AS changes its color from black to dark blue. Reset by switching AS off/on (push encoder two times). AutoSet can be activated in TM FX ort directly at the unit in the channel settings (last option when scrolling down).

- New feature 'Filter mode Low Pass'. The third band of the EQ can be set to shelf, peak, and - new - low pass. This simplifies the setup of surround systems and makes bass management more easy. Note that in this mode the filter's gain knob is not working.

- New feature 'Key Commands' (Options menu). Full support for the upcoming Standard and Advanced Remote. The Advanced Remote has 6 additional buttons with LED, the function of each button is highly configurable. Have a look at the drop-down lists and you know why you want to have such a remote! Additionally 5 F-keys (F4 to F8) from your standard keyboard are also programmable, but (as usual) require TM FX to be in the focus.

- New feature 'External Input': to be able to quickly compare the output of a DAW with a different source (CD, DAT, whatever) monitor controllers allow you to change from the normal mixdown signal to a specific stereo source. Source and volume are set in the Settings dialog (F3), activation is done with a new button in the CRM panel.

- New feature 'Cue to'. When clicking on a Cue button that hardware output's audio is sent to the Main output for monitoring. Clicking on the Assign button in the CRM panel shows the new option 'Cue to'. Now the Cue monitoring can be done on Main or any Phones output.

- A double click on the fader toggles it between 0 dB and mute. On notebooks double clicks are often caused unintentionally by their miserable touch pads. Therefore the double click action can now be disabled via F2 (Preferences).

- New Pan hotkeys. Click mouse while holding down - Ctrl to set Pan to 0/center, Shift to set Pan to full left, Ctrl+Shift to set Pan to full right.

- New Pan dialog. A double click on the pan value display opens a dialog box to enter the desired value.

- Improved playback channel assignment. When changing betwen stereo and mono mode the assigned playback channels (Record View) are taken into account.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface UFX: New TotalMix FX 0.95 for Windows and Mac

So there are going to be 2 versions of the Remote ?

I would like to know as I have a UFX remote on order and may need to clarify that with the dealer.

This all sounds excellent.

The standard remote is the same as the one available earlier for the ADI-8 QS: one dial wheel encoder with push function and two buttons. The left button (Prog) is freely programmable. Works with all UFX.

The Advanced Remote has 6 additional programmable buttons, active electronics inside, and a different cable/layout. It will therefore only work with the latest UFX units. Older UFX need an updated digital I/O board. We will release detailed information shortly before the Advanced Remote starts shipping.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by Daniel_K 2011-09-14 23:50:57)

DSP 1.41 ?
Muss das UFX beim booten 1.41 anzeigen..?
Bei mir zeigt es 1.39 an ....
Auch nach dem Update...

Ich finde nämlich keiner der oben genannten neuen Funktionen im neuen TM FX.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Daniel K. :-)

The Mac flash version had been a wrong file, sorry. Please download again. The unpacked file is the 'Fireface USB Flash Update 2.58' then.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I intend to buy a UFX today - How can I tell whether or not it is the newer type that can accept the new remote?

It will.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

fenderchris wrote:

I intend to buy a UFX today - How can I tell whether or not it is the newer type that can accept the new remote?

And for those of us who already have the UFX, how do we know if our unit is "older"?  Seems strange to have a significant hardware update less than a year after the release of UFX version 1.0.

I am looking forward to the "cue to" and "AutoSet" features.  Regarding autoset, can you give any details on how it responds to spikes?  How quickly will it respond, how fast will it return to original levels once the spike has passed?

Autoset is not AGC - it just reduces gain, and won't raise it again. The feature exists on the Micstasy, too, and is explained in the manual.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

neirbod wrote:

And for those of us who already have the UFX, how do we know if our unit is "older"?

MC wrote: Older UFX need an updated digital I/O board. We will release detailed information shortly before the Advanced Remote starts shipping.

Quite clear statement, isn't it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've been trying this new version, and it is a big step forward. I have a request. Low Pass and High Pass filters for Bass Management in surround systems are supposed to have very steep rolloffs. I can set the Low Cut to 24db/oct, which is pretty good, but not ideal. On the other hand, the new Low Pass filter can't be set with a Q any higher than 1.0 without getting a lot of resonance at the cutoff frequency (this can be clearly seen in the EQ plot). It would be nice to eventually get some specialized filters for surround mixing. I don't mind if they take up a lot more DSP than the standard filters, because I'll only be using six of them in a 5.1 setup... a HPF for L, R, Center, Ls, and Rs... and a LPF for the subwoofer. No other DSP is needed when mixing in surround.

Thanks for the upgrade (though for my use, the "Cue" change will improve)
Sorry to insist on the fact that the color change when selecting an output is not visible enough and we see no change in the color of its name on the input ... so some people do not understand directly the association on the selected output with all the related inputs. My request may be unclear, so I made a little suggestion in "brigth colors".
Again, congratulations for your work and for your customer feed back.

here is the "exagerated suggestion" for TotalMix FX :

http://lepetitgroupedumardi.free.fr/Proposition_TotalMixFX.jpg

... sorry, but as it is a release candidate and we may suggest one thing :

Could there be a way to "hide" any Input or Output that is not used on the TotalMix FX session so there would not be so many informations on the screen (I already appreciate the fact you can give "names" to the inputs !!). There could be an option on the right side that would state "hide the Input/outputs with - infinity : Yes/No, that would allow us to go directly on the settings of the instruments plugged and on the output selected.
That would mean : If you see it on the screen, then it is active. If you do not see it .. well you may have forgotten to activate this input/output.

Have an excellent sunday (I know you sometimes answer on sundays, and after reading all those suggestions, you deserve a nice Week End).

Philippe

Both issues are on our list, but not for this release.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Another FR: is there a way to make global user assignable keyboard shortcuts? For example: Foobar2000 has this and it works great!

Anyhow, this new release looks AWESOME!!!

Cheers,

b.

https://granurise.com

Great work, RME!  I tried the new TM, and I am really enjoying the new features.  The user assignable function keys are great.  I particularly like being able chose which set of phones I am cueing with a single push of a key.  I also like the fact you can now cue to whatever outputs you chose, not just to the mains.

The autoset gain for channels 9-12 work as advertised.  They react too slowly to prevent clipping, at least at fairly extreme settings.  But, they work very well as a quick and easy way to set levels.

I am looking forward to future releases with additional features, such as the ability to hide unused channels and control the DSP effects and gain via midi control.  My understanding is these features are "on the list" and will be added at some point in the future.

It is great to see RME working hard to make a great unit even better!  Here are some additional ideas that I think would be great features:

1) The ability to assign "mains" "Phones 1" etc. to *mono* outputs.  This would be helpful in live situations where FOH or stage monitors are typically mono signals.  This way you have your "main" on just analog output 1 (not 1/2) and your stage monitors on analog out 2 and use the larger UFX encoder to adjust levels of both.  This also would free up more outputs for IEM systems etc.

2) Include some visual indication in TM to tell you what the "Cue to" channel is.

3) In addition to visually hiding unused channels, hide them from midi controllers to reduce the amount of page swapping required.  For example, if you are only using analog inputs 9-12 you can hide channels 1-8 so that your midi control sees 9-12 as channels 1-4.  This may already be on your list.

4) The ability to zoom in on a channels effects so users have a larger GUI for EQ and compression

5) Have the primary controller reset after a specified time period in terms of what outputs it controls.  Let me explain.  Pushing the primary encoder multiple times toggles between controlling output levels of mains, phones 1, and phones 2.  I frequently need to look down at the UFX to see what output I am controlling as I lose track after a few minutes.  If, for example, the controller switched back to "mains" after 60 seconds, then I know always to "push twice to control phones 2" if I haven't touched it for a while.  Ideally the time to revert to "mains" would be user definable, including the option to never switch on its own (i.e., the way it behaves currently).

Thanks again for the great work!

David

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I bought my UFX in April. I saw a moderator say that the advanced remote would only work with new UFX units. So is there a new one coming out or this just a quiet update? Will my UFX not work with the advanced remote? If it won't I'll just get a midi controller instead to control talkback and such, but I'm not happy with how this is being done if I'm understanding it correctly. To me it seems that the advanced remote was designed as an afterthought and that all "new" UFX units have been quietly updated to accomodate it. If this advanced remote becomes a hit it will also negatively affect the resale value of the "old" UFX.

HeadScratch

Post number 10 above.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just curious when the new version of TM will be officially released, and whether the fact is has not been released yet means there are some problems that need to be worked out.

I have been using it for a couple of weeks and it seems stable, although I have not used the new features extensively.

in reference to post 10 above, i hope this upgrade board needed will be done for free, otherwise its totally unacceptable!!

22 (edited by neirbod 2011-09-30 12:45:00)

Ignore my previous post #20 above.  As of yesterday I started having some trouble with this preprelease TM.  I have twice received a message upon booting up that "Total mix has stopped working."  This is immediately upon boot up and before any other programs are open.

When this happens I am able to double click the TotalMixFX.exe file in the Windows/system32 folder to manually start TM.  It seems to work fine after that.

I am running Win 7 64 bit.  UFX driver is 3.047 and firmware is 3.40.  I connect with firewire.

The error message details are:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    TotalMixFX.exe
  Application Version:    0.0.95.0
  Application Timestamp:    4e6a00db
  Fault Module Name:    ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.17514
  Fault Module Timestamp:    4ce7ba58
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    00038da9
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    18a3
  Additional Information 2:    18a3439c2c7197a71609feb279ef7534
  Additional Information 3:    3d81
  Additional Information 4:    3d81f7f9f5f062aeebf3e7d15f92fd26

Thanks,

David

Looking at buying a UFX but don't want any misunderstanding about the unit I'll be getting.

Can you give us a serial number or date of production on the units that will be considered "newer" and thus capable of remote operation?

Thanks very much for all the hard work and bad-ass products you guys put out.

Ross

MC wrote:

Hello, this is the release candidate for next monday.

Three Mondays have passed.  Seems to be some problems.  Should we not install it?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

RME has been strangely quiet about this for over a week.  Any updates to the release?  Any response to the error message I posted?

Thanks.

Hi guys, I had three suggestions for an upcoming TM update:
1) when not in Record View, there should a small red "light" on the channel to indicate which ones are armed/recording.
2) As I use my UFX Durec and DAW (PT9) as a dual recording system (to create a backup recording in realtime), it would be great if there was some sort of internal midi/rewire stream to control the DAW's shuttle from the Total Mix window. At the moment, I have to arm and record and stop both the DAW and the UFX seperately, which makes for tricky timing in live situations.
3) Channel Naming in TM could be part of the scene memory, with a pop-up box that allows one to name all the tracks one-by-one without having to click, name, close each seperately (such as PT9 has).
Just some ideas.

Music Producer / Sound Engineer. RME HDSP 9652 / RME UFX

PhilippeMustang wrote:

Sorry to insist on the fact that the color change when selecting an output is not visible enough

To improve the visibility of the selected submix as well as improving the channel borders with open panels (Settings/EQ/Dyn) the just released version of TotalMix FX 0.95 has darker panels. Makes it look better overall as well, IMHO.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

LJB wrote:

Hi guys, I had three suggestions for an upcoming TM update:

2) As I use my UFX Durec and DAW (PT9) as a dual recording system (to create a backup recording in realtime), it would be great if there was some sort of internal midi/rewire stream to control the DAW's shuttle from the Total Mix window. At the moment, I have to arm and record and stop both the DAW and the UFX seperately, which makes for tricky timing in live situations.

FWIW, my UFX is used 90+% of the time for live location recording. The easiest thing to do with Durec is have a large enough USB hard drive to simply hit record before the start of program and let it run uninterrupted in the background for the duration of the performance.  Since it is a backup recorder, the only time you would have to deal with it would be in case of catastrophic loss on the primary recorder.  Such being the case, it's a minor inconvenience at worst to be editing out excess space from the backup that has  just saved your bacon. The flip side of that is it may well catch something you wish you had gotten while the primary was stopped. Once I hit the red button on Durec, it's ignored and I can worry about other things. Sequoia 11.2 is my primary record and once things are setup, TotalMix is generally in the background along with Durec.

I'm using a Seagate 500Gb Freestyle USB powered drive for Durec.  If the track count is going to be maxed out, I  might go to an externally powered drive just to make certain it will keep up with the UFX buffer load under heavy data flow.

MC wrote:

- New Pan hotkeys. Click mouse while holding down - Ctrl to set Pan to 0/center, Shift to set Pan to full left, Ctrl+Shift to set Pan to full right.

- New Pan dialog. A double click on the pan value display opens a dialog box to enter the desired value.

I really appreciate these features, since I change the pan of each channel quite a lot. A while ago, I posted a suggetion regarding hotkeys for panning hard left/right, but nobody responded. But, may be RME staffs were listening.......maybe not, but regardless, I like the hotkeys. Good work, RME !!

I am trying to download this version

but appears error 404 not found

is the link broken?

The link is dead because this beta version is no longer in beta, and released on the main downloads page.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/driver_usb_mac.zip

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

PhilippeMustang wrote: Sorry to insist on the fact that the color change when selecting an output is not visible enough

MC wrote : To improve the visibility of the selected submix as well as improving the channel borders with open panels (Settings/EQ/Dyn) the just released version of TotalMix FX 0.95 has darker panels. Makes it look better overall as well, IMHO. Regards - Matthias Carstens - RME

Thank you Matthias for this little change in the darker panels in Total Mix FX. It is true the overall look is better this way.
My point was more to guide the eyes of the reader of the screen from the Output Selected (ex : PH11/12 in the image above) to the little text "PH11/12" in all the inputs to insist on the fact that the sliders will affect this output only on each input. Now that I understood it, it is OK, but something clearer may avoid mistakes or misundertandings like I did (and some others as I could read in forums). Something like all the PH11/12 little texts blinking for 2 seconds or an even brighter color in the Input selected would do the trick.

Anyway, you do a marvelous job in all the essential directions and I understand that my little suggestion is not that important (it is more dedicated to beginners like me ... that usually do not buy such a sophisticated piece of equipement).

And also, as it seems to be the thread for it ... I am waiting eagerly :-) for the new remote control (mainly for stage - Standalone control of the volume of at least 6 inputs, and I think I understand it should be possible ?)

Kindly yours,
Philippe

The use of both remotes is very limited in stand-alone mode. You get the master volume with dim and recall as standard. On the advanced remote the 6 additional buttons can be used to load the 6 setups stored in the UFX. That is all. Anything else would be a case for an external MIDI controller.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In another thread I suggested that MIDI control of each submix's Cue would enable monitoring that submix at the press of a button, e.g. programmed into a Behringer F2000.  Now that TMFX 0.95 switches the cued submix to the selected monitor output, we are half way there, missing only the MIDI-Cue implementation.

Hi!

My TM 0.95 doesn't allow me to switch to low pass. Hope this question doesn't end up in revealing me being totally stupid, but it's supposed to be available at the EQ-Type setting of the  3rd EQ band, isn't it?  There is still only peak and shelf available right now.

Thanks, Markus

This is a thread about the UFX...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I wasn't aware that there is a TM UFX and a TM Babyface..   but if that's the case,  are there any plans to include lowpass in TM Babyface?   The need is perfectly the same. I'm using babyface for surround monitoring as well.

Cheers,
Markus

There are two threads. And no, the BF can not have this feature as resources are limited, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Could you make the hotkeys to change snapshots in the next release?

Thanks

hot keys for a third set of monitors and a second external input would be awesome!

Snapshots - still on our list.
Third monitors and second external input - I usually not say a clear NO to suggestions, but in this case I do. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

empirix wrote:

in reference to post 10 above, i hope this upgrade board needed will be done for free, otherwise its totally unacceptable!!

So what is the story with this, for remote operation, how do we get our ufx upgraded, or is it possible to return the units to rme for a new ufx with the upgraded board or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund?

Post number 10 is still valid.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok great its just been 2 months so i was wondering.......i'll keep an eye out, thanks

looping3000 wrote:

Could you make the hotkeys to change snapshots in the next release?

You got me confused a bit - this feature is there since the last version already. Options/Key Commands. Assign F4 to F8 for your preferred Snapshots.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

46 (edited by neirbod 2011-11-15 12:39:08)

I am really enjying the new dynamic meters.  The graphics are clear but not distracting.   Nicely done, RME!  Thanks for continuing to improve a great product.

Hi Matthias,

Could you please tell me if it is possible to control any number of output channels on the UFX using either the Volume knob, or the optional RME Remote Control?
I have looked at the UFX manual, and it is only clear that the Volume can control Main Out, Phones A and Phones B, all of which seem to be stereo.

However, the one hope comes from this page:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fir … ufx_faq#15

which says:
"The digital control makes it easy to perfectly control a 5.1 setup from one knob, like the UFX volume knob."

Does this apply to control by the Volume knob and Remote, or just to the digital faders in Total Mix?

Thanks.
Nick

Hammerfall user from way back...

Hi-

Also interested in controlling multiple outputs w/ volume knob, for surround mixing purposes.

For the time being, I use an external device (SPL SMC surround monitor controller) as a ganged volume knob and

To truly be a serious "console center section" for surround, additional features would be needed such as ability to mute individual speaker outputs, do a standard downmix, possibly insert dolby encode/decode hardware, possibly select between several 5.1 (or 7.1 even) sources, possibly do proper bass management across the output.  Frankly, all the power is onboard to do this today using snapshots and mute buttons etc.  See feature set of a device like Martinsound multimax. 

IMHO if RME gets this right, there is a significant market of small post studios who require a monitor controller.  There's a hole in the market here left behind when Tascam abandoned its FPGA based surround monitor controller.  The UFX would be a great piece of gear for this purpose, and certainly has the power onboard to do it. 

...just a thought!

-jeremiah moore

1: MBP M1 Max 64gb
2: 2018 i7 Mini, 32gb
ProTools 2023.3, Live 11
UFX, FF400, Babyface

49 (edited by Dmytro_ua 2012-01-21 00:00:08)

Hi!
Yesterday I bought a new FF UFX (s/n 232007**) from our official local distributor. I'm interested in buying the RME ARC when it is available. But it is mentioned that the card requires a hardware modification, that will NOT be free. Our distributor doesn't know about it yet. What does it really mean? How much will it cost? If it is rather expensive, I'll return it back and wait until they provide me with the new revision as I pay the full price now.
I decided not to open the box till you give me an answer, though I can return it without any problems.

Thanks in advance

I'd take it back and ask for a UFX that was built after June 2011, i.e. with a newer serial number.