Topic: Fireface 800 Drop Outs w/ Host Light Flash + Mac Pro + OS X 10.6.8

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Fireface 800 dropping audio playback in itunes, and the red host light flashes for a second and then audio returns a few seconds later. Fireface mixer freezes when this is happening.

I did some searching but i am having issue finding the resolution for this. I am thinking my most recent update has caused this. I haven't updated my computer in a while, so I think that is why this hasn't been an issue. Any links or assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Here are my specs:
I have a Fireface 800 (V 2.93 Unit 2.77 Kernel Driver V2.93)
Running on OS X 10.6.8
Running on 2009 Mac Pro

Model Name:    Mac Pro
Model Identifier:    MacPro3,1
Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed:    2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors:    2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed:    1.6 GHz

Re: Fireface 800 Drop Outs w/ Host Light Flash + Mac Pro + OS X 10.6.8

When the HOST LED comes on, this is indicating a problem with FireWire communication. Do you have any other devices connected to FW on the Mac (even a Cinema Display FW connection)? Can you try a different cable? Have you tried changing to the front or rear port on the Mac, depending which you currently use?

Make sure the computer is off when plugging/unplugging FireWire.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Interesting. I had my icam hooked up though my cinema display. Disconnecting all firewire cables besides my Fireface 800 fixed the issue. Is this a Firewire Apple bus issue on my Mac Pro? Would a FW PCI card fix this issue? BWT, my connection is FW400 not 800.

Thanks for the reply.

The Cinema Display FW connection is known to cause interruptions on the bus. Separating the FF to it's own FireWire controller card would be a solution.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you so much Jeff!
Very helpful!