1 (edited by conker 2011-09-21 03:19:33)

Topic: Balanced TRS jacks to Unblanaced Gear with TS (instrument) cable!

Hi!

I would like to plug my electric guitar into the FF400 and route the signal to an external guitar preamplifier.

Sending the signal to an external preamp from a balanced TRS output:
The guitar is connected to line/instrument input 3, Pad and Inst are checked, gain is 7.5dB.
I am sending the signal via an unbalanced TS (tip-sleeve) cable, going from one balanced TRS line output on the FF400 to the guitar preamp. Is this the right procedure in order to feed the guitar preamp? How do I ensure optimal gain staging? (The preamp input has an impedance buffer and a 0dB and -10dB switch.)

Connecting a guitar to the FF400:
The manual says, regarding line inputs 3/4:
"When using unbalanced cables with TRS jacks: be sure to connect the 'ring' contact of the TRS jack to ground. Otherwise noise may occur, caused by the unconnected negative input of the balanced input."

This seems to apply to me because I am connecting my guitar with an unbalanced cable to the balanced line/inst input 3, but can someone please explain how exactly I am supposed to connect the ring to ground?

Re: Balanced TRS jacks to Unblanaced Gear with TS (instrument) cable!

1. Yes.
2. TRS means Tip Ring Sleeve. Your unbalanced guitar cable has a TS plug, so no problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Balanced TRS jacks to Unblanaced Gear with TS (instrument) cable!

Thanks for the quick reply. After further reading, I have concluded that it's best to connect the e-guitar directly to the guitar preamp, since it has a higher impedance input (1M Ohm), compared to 470k Ohm on the FF400, which seems to subjectively affect tone.