Topic: To UFX or not to UFX

hello RME peoples, i've a wee query.
I was considering for my next step up in audio interfaces to be an RME product, most likely the UFX.
I've been using a MOTU 828mkII for a few years now and i've been reasonably happy with it.
So my query is this...
Why would i buy the RME UFX (£1600) when Black Lion Audio already offer upgrades to "dramatically" improve the UFX sound quality??
http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=46
Is the UFX fitted with the same bog-standard components as other low-mid priced interfaces? That's the impression the BLA offer has me believe.
should i just send my MOTU 828mkII over to BLA and get it upgraded?
I'm curious to know what RME users think on this. Feel free to beat me up if I'm asking a stupid question fryingpan
kind thanks

2 (edited by kasaudio 2011-10-06 13:26:10)

Re: To UFX or not to UFX

I would not say that it "dramatically" improves sound quality. If you compare for ex. 0.000001% audio distortion versus 0.0000001%, improvement is dramatic of course and might also be legitimately achieved, but I guess most of folks will not notice it at all.

Real drama for your wallet unless Berlusconi is your uncle. rotfl rotfl

kasaudio wrote:

I would not say that it "dramatically" improves sound quality.

thanks for your reply. "dramatically" was a direct quote from BLA.

4 (edited by neirbod 2011-10-06 15:23:19)

UFX converters sound great.  Few people could distinguish between UFX and more expensive converters (e.g., Orpheus) in a blind test.  To the extent other converters are indeed slightly better (and I have no doubt some are), the differences are very subtle.  Anyone who claims a "dramatic" difference in conversion between the UFX or any other high-quality converter and/or mod is trying to sell you something.

EDIT - I would be happy to be proven wrong by BLA or any other company offering mods, or by companies offering "better" converters.  I challenge them to conduct a well designed blind test with unbiased participants (it's not that hard) and/or post wave files for people to compare blindly at home using an A/B testing program like Foobar.  Only then if people hear differences/preferences it is meaningful.  The fact that they do not attempt such a test is very telling.

I heard "night and day differences" between the Orpheus I tested and my old FF800 when I knew which unit was which. The Orpheus had tighter bass, smoother mids, less harsh highs.  Then I listened to recorded clips blind and 95% of those differences disappeared.  This "expectation bias" is a very common phenomenon that is hard wired into the human brain, and one that gear manufacturers take full advantage of.

The drastic difference after the mod is analogous to the effect of comparing regular flat and pixilated video to the vivid sharpness and dimension of High Definition.

rotfl

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Well here is a blind test for ya:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho … ation.html

Jeff wrote:

The drastic difference after the mod is analogous to the effect of comparing regular flat and pixilated video to the vivid sharpness and dimension of High Definition.

rotfl

I also tried to take that BLA mod seriously untill this phrase appeared!

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630