Topic: FF800, Sonar 8.5 question about routing

Hi there,

I wanted to check on here to make sure i don't do something stupid and blow up my FF800.

What i'd like to do...is to take 5 drum tracks (already recorded) and send them out to an FX pedal, and then back into an input on the FF800 to record the drums with the new fx.  This is probably easy, but I wanted to double check on here before i do something stupid.

Would it be as easy as
1. assign the drum bus track output to a specific output on the back of the FF800
2. plug the 1/4 inch cable from the said output on the back of the fFF800 to my fx pedal
3. plug 1/4 inch cable into one of the inputs on the front of the FF800
4. create and arm a  new track in sonar with the input set to the sfx drum signal
5. press record?

Thanks so much in advance!!  smile

Kaiya

Re: FF800, Sonar 8.5 question about routing

Hi Kaiya,
Yes this is possible. If you are using Sonar 7 or higher then I would recommend you read up in the Sonar manual on external inserts.
This is a way to create an external effect send/return in Sonar and use it like your using a plug in.  You would want to insert it on an Aux Bus track in Sonar if you want multiple tracks to be sent to it.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr09/a … p_0409.htm
http://www.eqmag.com/article/8126

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks for the links Chris!  I'm using sonar 8.5, so I think this should be pretty doable!

Thanks!

Kaiya

well, I tried following the instructions from the 2nd link above, and am having no luck.  To simplify things, i am just trying to send the output of one track (saxophone) out of the fireface, into an fx pedal and then back into the fireface to record a new track of the fx'd saxophone.

I keep getting feedback loops.  And if i don't get a feedback loop, and it does record the sfx'd sax, then i can't hear the sfx track in realtime as i'm recording it to adjust the fx pedal parameters.

Here is what i've tried.
sax track output set at analog 7. 1/4 inch going out to the fx pedal.  the fx pedal via 1/4 in. going into input 5 on the back of the fireface. A new track labeled bari sax sfx with input set at analog 5. 

I've also tried following the instructions in the 2nd link Chris suggested with a stereo bus.

Any help would be awesome.  Let me know if you need more info, or I'm not explaining this very well.  I think the problem i'm having is with the total mix settings.

If you can't hear the track you're recording on, try the input echo button.

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

yeah, i tried the echo input on both the sax track and the new sfx sax track and had no luck.

any idea if i have to do anything in the total mix matrix? Or any specifics on what i need to set each track's input/output and then what the faders should be set to in total mix?

Thanks a ton!!  smile