Topic: FF800 Stand-Alone operation help

I know this topic has been mentioned before and everyone always tells the person to watch the youtube video on how to setup two RME ff800's. I have watched it over and over and I still cannot get my second unit to work in a Stand-Alone operation mode. I perform all the steps listed on the video. After I flash the settings to the unit, unplug the firewire cables so that they are connected via adat, and turn on and off the system... the unit that is supposed to be in stand alone operation will not show up and the red "host" led lights up.

Could someone please help and give me specific instructions?

My ideal setup is as follows: the top unit has 4 mics plugged into the 4 front mic pres on channels 7-10. I have some other analog inputs connected in the back via inputs 1-6. The second unit below it is connected via Adat1 to the first unit. I would like the second unit's 4 mic pres to pass through ADAT1 on adat1 1-4. and then the second unit's analog inputs 1-4 to go through adat1 5-8. The second unit's analog outputs 1-8 would be linked to the adat1 1-8, so whatever channels i send back to the second unit for monitoring can match the analog outputs.

Am I do something completely wrong? Any better recommendations? Am I confusing which unit is supposed to be in stand-operation? I want my first (top) unit to be connected to my computer and the second (bottom to work in stand alone) or does it have to be the other way around?

Thanks

CerberusProductions

Re: FF800 Stand-Alone operation help

the unit that is supposed to be in stand alone operation will not show up and the red "host" led lights up.

Yes, of course. Since the unit is not connected to the computer, the computer does not see a 2nd FF800. The I/O are available via the ADAT channels of the connected unit.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you Jeff...

So, because I think I still have this backwards... in my situation... the bottom (second unit) is in stand alone operation because that is the one that is unable to be "seen".

In the total Mix matrix for the stand alone unit I created the in 1 to a1 1 etch and then in 13 to an 1 and so on as instructed via the video...

Do I need to change any of the total mix matrix settings for the top unit (not in stand alone mode) ?

I am not seeing any of the adat i/o's in my pro tools i/o settup and audio does not seem to be passing through if when looking at the rme total mix...

No, you don't have to change anything on the connected unit. The ADAT channels are inputs 13-28.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Great thanks... I will give it another test.

I appreciate your help, sorry I'm brand new to RME.