Topic: Fireface UC - K-System setup etc

Hi...thanks for reading...

A few questions...:-)

1. On p.55 of the manual it says "Inst. Activate the option Instrument to use inputs 3 and 4 with instruments." - Does that mean that lines 3 & 4 are best for plugging in a bass guitar, for example?

2. If I want to run another preamp (ART MPA Gold) into the Fireface, what inputs are best suited to do that? I currently have the left channel of the MPA Gold in 5 and the right channel into 6.

3. In what way can I use the MAIN in TotalMix? Should I always leave that at 0db? Or in such cases as the K-System of calibrated monitoring should I maybe configure 0db MAIN for K-20 83dbSPL, -6db MAIN for K-14 83dbSPL...etc?

4. Let's say I want to perform a vocal take in my project, how can I configure TotalMix so that I hear the backing track/ song from my DAW at one volume and my own LIVE vocal performance at a variable volume in my headphones?

5. Can anyone comment on my overall setup so far:

a) ART MPA Gold 2 channel preamp into 5 & 6
b) Line Out 1 & 2 go to my monitor speakers
c) Ch 7 & 8 to headphones

Thanks for your help.

:-)

Fireface UFX II, Babyface Pro, Windows 10, Studio One 5

Re: Fireface UC - K-System setup etc

1. Of course.

2. Channels 3 to 8 ar best suited.

3. TM Main is mostly set between -6 and -20 dB, to provide some temporary gain if you want to hear more loud or have a low volume sound source that you want to monitor.

4. You do this with the mic channel's fader in the input row.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

3. TM Main is mostly set between -6 and -20 dB, to provide some temporary gain if you want to hear more loud or have a low volume sound source that you want to monitor.

Is that right? At what SPL measurement would you recommend I calibrate -6db on the MAIN? If you say -6 to -20db on the MAIN...then I am guessing that -20db would be the likely position for K20?

The fader gain value has NOTHING to do with the k scales.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by blinky 2011-10-09 10:36:47)

Which gain fader? The MAIN out?

Doesn't that have something to do with the volume at which I monitor? It can be turned up...it can be turned down.

Isn't the K-System about volume levels for monitoring?

Please tell me how I can set my monitoring up with the FFUC

What MC meant was that the (relative) dB values in Totalmix are in no way related to (absolute physical) SPL. These depend on your outboard gear.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yeah the values themselves are...without value. But if I calibrate my monitors so that the MAIN OUT is sitting on 83dbSPL at 0db...then 0db on my MAIN OUT = 83dbSPL...I have given it a reference value.

I have no outboard gear...only the FFUC

Your outboard gear is amplifier and speakers. If you ref 0 dB to 83 dB spl you can only raise the level temporarily by 6 dB. And there is no reason to do that. It seems you overlooked the Recall functionality. You can set any value that you like for your 83 dB, and you don't have to remember it, TotalMix does that for you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh yeah...you are right...anyway I have the 83dbSPL for my room calibrated at the 0db on the MAIN OUT.

Apart from that I haven't worked out the nuts and bolts of TotalMix yet, being a new user of a few days.