Topic: Outboard compressor problem

I'm having difficulty routing a previously recorded track through a Fireface UC, then through an outboard compressor, and then back into my DAW (Logic). I am using Logic's i/o plugin and successfully get sound through the UC and the compressor. I noticed, though, that although the track in question is mono, the signal is far stronger in the left speaker. If I then mute all channel strips in Logic I still have an unprocessed signal coming through the left speaker. I assume this is because I am using input and output 5 on the UC. (It might help to upload an image of my TotalMix window, but I don't see a way to attach images.)

The logic behind this is driving me batty since I'm quite sure this is a user error. Can anyone suggest what routing error I have committed? Better still, is there a way to use outboard processors without resorting to Logic's i/o plugin? Is there a way to accomplish this within TotalMix? (If so, is there a more detailed resource than the manual?)

Jim

Fireface UC, iMac i7 quad core, Logic 9.1.4, Yamaha S08 synth

Re: Outboard compressor problem

Hi Jim,
This sounds like you have some extra routing going on that is monitoring your send/return channel your using for your compressor.
Try this.
Hold down the CMD key while clicking on Preset 1 in Total Mix. This load the factory default routing which has no extraneous routing. Make sure to turn down/off your monitors and headphone before resetting. You will need to readjust them before you start ;playing anything since it will most likely be too loud if you are plugging your monitors directly into the UC.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas

Thanks Chris. Your suggestion fixed the problem.

You know, you guys could bring some extra $ with a "TotalMix for Idiots" book. I'd buy it, and I"m guessing I'm not alone. Think about it. Such a volume would also likely lighten the load on your various forum pages.

Jim

Fireface UC, iMac i7 quad core, Logic 9.1.4, Yamaha S08 synth

You know, you guys could bring some extra $ with a "TotalMix for Idiots" book.

Sorry, of course idiots don't use RME. This would be no success. But we think about more tutorial videos.

best regards
Knut

That sounds like a good Tee shirt logo!
Idiots don't use RME!
tongue
More tutorial video are coming...
Chris

Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME
www.facebook.com/RMEAmericas
Twitter @RMEAmericas