Topic: Avoiding Brain Cramps

Well My wife saw me drooling on line over a Babyface .... and she bought me one for an anniversary present (on the way, not here yet)

What made me want a Babyface is the legendary RME stability and the converters.

Forgive me if my questions are dumb... been recording for quite a while but what I do is just simple straightforward audio tracks. Been using a Echo Audiofire 4 for quite a while.

I really don't need all the powerful routing options that are provided in the TotalMix. If fact hopefully I can just "Set it a leave it"  and then use my DAW software (Reaper) the way I always have.

I just do simple audio tracks..(singer songwriter stuff)

Now my question. Do I understand correctly that I can set up the hi-z input to be an analog in using a TRS from my outboard pre?

If so would I just turn down that input to zero to use that input for an outboard pre? And then control levels at the pre?

Also the built in effects... I know they can be set up to be applied as I track.  But can they be used like a plugin and added or adjusted after tracking (Like a VST plugin) no problem if not.

Again sorry that questions are dumb ....Excited about the arrival of my Babyface  I will soon tackle the learning curve of the TotalMix and hopeully avoid major braincramps!

Re: Avoiding Brain Cramps

Now my question. Do I understand correctly that I can set up the hi-z input to be an analog in using a TRS from my outboard pre?

Connect the outboard pre to the XLR input 1 or 2 and leave the gain knob at 0 dB (not the volume fader!). Both inputs are line inputs. The Hi-Z is an alternative instrument input for analog input 2 - perfect for a guitar or a bass.

But can they be used like a plugin and added or adjusted after tracking (Like a VST plugin) no problem if not.

TotalMix don't work like a plugin. TotalMix is a complete hardware mixer built into the interface itself. It's behind your software just like an external outboard mixer. You can use effects to your software outputs in TotalMix and send them back to the inputs of your software - including effects (Loopback button).

best regards
Knut

P.S.: You should give your wife a Ladyface in return.

3 (edited by riccol 2011-10-10 19:29:37)

Hey Thanks for the answer.

Very helpful and quick!

I know what hi-z inputs are for. However I have a couple of units for DI (hi-Z) I love to use. (A-designs Reddi for bass)
I understood you could use the analog inputs for and external pre by setting gain to zero. However I thought there was a way to make change the hi-z into another analog in with the Totalmix setup. Not a problem if not... in fact I think I just read something wrong in the manual.

Also I understand the effects in the Babyface are not plugins.   What I am asking is can the be adjusted after tracking?

For instance I have a vocal track with reverb....Can I further edit the reverb or eq after in has been tracked (as you do with plugins)

Does that make sense?

However I thought there was a way to make change the hi-z into another analog in with the Totalmix setup.

Hi-Z is not an additional input - it's works alternative to analog input 2 with an impedance of 470 kOhm (unbalanced). The Babyface provides 2 analog inputs not more.

For instance I have a vocal track with reverb....Can I further edit the reverb or eq after in has been tracked (as you do with plugins)

It's the same like a loop with an external mixer. You send the recorded track to the mixer, add effects and send the signal back to your software and rerecord it.

best regards
Knut

Gotcha!!:-)

By the way..... came across this link surfing the forum, what is it and how can it be used?

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/Ba … A_mode.zip