Topic: FF800 + Externel Clock = Zero Effect?

Yesterday i got a Mutec Word Clock generator for testing. I recorded a few things to listen to the differences between Internal Clock of FF800, the Digimax  and the Mutec.

Signal Path was the following:

For Mutec Clock:
FF800 + Presonus Digimax FS via ADAT both synced by the Mutec clock (Star Topology)

For FF800 Clock:

FF800 + Presonus Digimax FS via ADAT synced by the FF as Master via WC out to Digimax WC in

For Digimax Clock:

FF800 + Presonus Digimax FS via ADAT set to Internal Clock. FF set to AutoSync synced via WC out from the Digimax ti the FF WC in.

After a few recordings i noticed, that the only difference i could hear was with Mutec on the Digimax Converters. The RME Converters sounded the same with Internal Clock or the Mutec. Nice i thought, so i don#t nedd no Mutec.

But wanted to go technical. So i recorded a sawtooth to the FF and the Digimax in all three sync constellations.

See attached picture. What i was wandering about is, that the mutec on the Digimax looks like it's more close to the original.
Is this because of SteadyClock? So that the incoming clock from the Mutec is "corrected" by SteadyClock and than not as good, as it was before?

[img align=L]http://www.stephan-schoepe.de/img/clock.jpg[/img]

Re: FF800 + Externel Clock = Zero Effect?

The effect you observe is indeed due to Steadyclock. What is the frequency of the sawtooth in question?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

These pictures and statements have no meaning as long as you don't provide all the details. Sawtooth generated with what, played with what,  its frequency, the recording sample rate, recorded by which analog input etc etc. The ringing is part of the ADC process and can not be reduced/changed by a different clock, but only by changing the bandwidth (higher sample rate). Therefore I expect at least one error in your test/results.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I used a sawtooth that i found on gearslutz: DAC-Test Starting from around 300Hz to approx. 6k. the picture was taken from the beginning, so around 300Hz.
Sample Rate in the Project was 44,1kHz. I played the Sawtooth from Output 5 of the FF and put it on Input 3 on the FF / 8 on the Digimax (Line)