Topic: Thunderbolt Adapter for HDSPe Express Card

Hello

As I have to change Laptop and try to keep my MultifaceII-Setup, I ran into this:

Sonnet Echo

Is there any chance of this working?

Thank you

Florian

Re: Thunderbolt Adapter for HDSPe Express Card

A search in this forum would have been helpful...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

A search in this forum would have been helpful...

I didn't find an official answer to this question.
I only found quite arrogant and unproductiv answers like this one from RME instead of helping their customers to find a workaround.
RME chose an expensive and effective technology like ExpressCard, which is now obsolete.
I'm quite disappointed with this behavior, and I want to thank again the customers who have taken the risk to buy the sonnet thunderbolt/express-card adapter to test by themselves.

And if it will not work, Florian, you can buy another RME product like a Fireface ;-)

4 (edited by Zapp 2011-10-20 09:55:11)

Audio Processing wrote:

I only found quite arrogant and unproductiv answers like this one from RME instead of helping their customers to find a workaround.

Thunderbolt
Current Apple laptops (for better or worse) now include Intel’s Thunderbolt (Light Peak) connection. There are no Thunderbolt devices in the real world yet, so there is little useful info on how functional this early generation of Thunderbolt will be. You probably won’t see Thunderbolt on PC laptops until at least the end year, if not later. I have a suspicion that they are holding out for the 2nd generation of Thunderbolt, or at least letting Apple be the guinea pig. Early implementations of PCIe on both desktops and laptops were a mess, and took over year (and multiple design generations) to get the kinks worked out.

Any other features of the laptop are just icing on the cake, and should not take precedence over these primary considerations.

Taken from this thread:  http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 471#p62471

This product has not been released, it is NOT yet available.
Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Taken from this thread:  http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 774#p60774

and last but not least:

http://store1.sonnettech.com/product_in … cts_id=392

There you can see that it is not available before 11/30/2011.

So what?

Regards
Zapp

p.s.:

Who is arrogant?

Regards
Zapp

Audio Processing wrote:

RME chose an expensive and effective technology like ExpressCard, which is now obsolete.

Not at all. The 17" MBP and many PC laptops still have it. The fact that it is found less frequently on lower-end laptops does not mean it is obsolete. You logic is wrong...

I'm quite disappointed with this behavior, and I want to thank again the customers who have taken the risk to buy the sonnet thunderbolt/express-card adapter to test by themselves.

No one can test a product that is not yet available...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,

No one can test a product that is not yet available...

Of course.
I would prefer you said you will investigate this solution as soon as the product will be available, and post the results and advices here to make the sonnet adapter work (or not) with RME ExpressCard.

I own a new MacBookPro 15" with 8GB RAM, i7 2.3 GHz. I don't think it is an entry level laptop.
17" is too big for me to be used on the road.

I really like RME products (pristine sound quality, best quality drivers, solid built, ...)
I own three different of them, and I will be really embarrassed if I have to buy another audio interface.

Best Regards,

I requested review units myself and already offered to share the results with RME. But Sonnet cannot deliver any units yet, so we all have to wait.

and this ?
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoe … rbolt.html

That is exactly what we are talking about
HeadScratch
available 12/14/11

Florian wrote:

Hello

As I have to change Laptop and try to keep my MultifaceII-Setup, I ran into this:

SonHeadScratchnet Echo

Is there any chance of this working?

Thank you

Florian

actually the list of the compatible product with the sonnet tech has been updated recently:

AJA io Express
Magma ExpressBox
Prism Sound ADA-8XR
Prism Sound Orpheus

from this, the point saying:

"No one can test a product that is not yet available" Daniel Fuchs (rme support)

are you sure,as apparently three company had test the product and sonnet list them as compatible...

from this,the point saying:

"This product has not been released, it is NOT yet available."Matthias Carstens (forum administrator)

do you think MAGMA,AJA,or PRISM SOUND gave this kind of answer to theyre customers...seriously?

please never forget that all the interest on this product come from you "CUSTOMER" who are, more than all ,interested to keep working with YOUR product..
so, please if you have no idea what to answer,at least try to gave us a more positive form in your answer.
or maybe let chris ludwig answering us,at least he gave us a theorical answer:

"Hi Kiniko,
In theory it should work fine but I'm sure no one has been able to test this device yet.
Chris
Chris Ludwig
North East USA Sales | Synthax/RME

at this point my question is:

"can we (customer) imagine that you in RME are considering seriously this product that could bring a important compatibility with your product..?

thx for your understanding,
regards,
kiniko,

ps: sorry for my broken english.

Sure. We are considering it seriously. It will be tested when it will be available.

best regards
Knut

Apparently it's on shipping...
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 … ort.types/

Quick! Someone test this so that when I need to replace my MBP and THEN get a TB enabled MBP and then need to use the MF/RPM with the new MBP that I know this thing works. You have at least a year...

Has anybody done any round-trip latency tests using this adapter yet?

Particularly with a Digiface?

Is there any latency added by the Thunderbolt protocol and/or the adapter?

I still can't decide whether to get a Mac Mini with this adapter and a Digiface or if I'll have to get a Mac Pro with a Raydat.  If this adapter with a Mac Mini/Digiface allows me to get low latency it'll save me a fair bit of money...

Logic 10.7.2 - macOS Monterey 12.7.5
HDSPe Digiface via ExpressCard Adapter
Fireface UFX III & UCX I

TB should not add any measurable, much less audible latency.... Whatever it might be, it will be far, far below anything that AD converters or your DAW mixer will bring about...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just tested round-trip latencies on both Windows 7 and OS X 10.6.8. No difference between Thunderbolt-Adapter and native EC/34 port (at least not on a audio sample basis). So no additional buffering is used by the adapter/TB.