1 (edited by brother-louie 2011-10-20 09:56:28)

Topic: Mic pre gain of Fireface UC

I do a lot of voice-over work, and I am seriously considering upgrading from an M-Audio interface to a Fireface UC. I've read raving reviews about the quality of the mic preamps in the UC. I have reviewed the technical specs and I could not find how much gain those pres have.

The reason I ask is because 50% of my recordings involve ribbon microphones (RCA 44BX and B&O BM-3). As you know, ribbons (especially the B&O) need at least 65 db of gain if you want to get the best out of them. I could alternatively buy a stand-alone mic pre (I have the Summit Audio 2Ba-221 in mind), but that would seriously limit the remaining budget for the audio interface and would put the Fireface UC out of reach. I am hoping somebody in the forum can tell me about their experience in using the UC with ribbon microphones, or that tech support can post the db's of gain the mic pres have.

You might be thinking that a Fireface UC or a 2Ba-221 are a bit of an overkill for voice-over work, but I am geeky and have decided to pamper myself.

Best regards,
Enrique

Re: Mic pre gain of Fireface UC

The values can be found on the UC product website: "A pre-amplification of up to 65 dB (adjustable in 1 dB-steps over a range of 55 dB), ..."

best regards
Knut

If the reason to upgrade the m-audio interface is the weak gain, my suggestion is to get a dedicated mic pre. Grace m201 can also drive ribbons. YMMV.

The Grace has a ribbon setting with 10 dB extra gain, reaching a max. of 74 dB... If this is mainly for recording purposes, I would assume the UC's 65 dB will do, the rest can be done digitally, if required....
Of course, different ribbon mics will also have different sensitivities.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME