Topic: Safe Input Mode?

I could not find a lot of information on the redundancy mode of MADI. It says:

"A special redundance mode (Safe Input Mode) guarantees a secure operation. Redundancy: RME MADI devices have the SM-I (Safe Mode Input) feature to switch automatically between the optical and coaxial port if one of the cables or connections are disconnected by mistake, or are the signals become distorted."

Does this mean you hook up both the coax and the optical in's and out's and if one goes bad the other picks up the slack? If so isn't it sending double the signal at the same time?

Also, would it be then possible to send coax out of one machine, optical out of another machine (machines in sync sending out the same exact signal) and have them both meet into one D/A converter in case one machine fails (lets say the one off the coax) then the optical feed from the second machine still sends the signal with no interruption?

Thanks,

Drew

Mid 2010 Mac Pro, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, OSX 10.10.2, Logic Pro X, 2 Multiface ii HDSPe, Rev. 20, 4.03

Re: Safe Input Mode?

Yes.
Yes, but where is the problem?
Yes, but there is an interruption of about half a second. The input switches in hardware and needs to re-sync to the other signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Safe Input Mode?

Ok gotcha, that half second would kill a live situation. What would really be awesome is if RME made an auto switch like the Radial SW8 but for MADI coax and fiber signals. I'd buy one today :-)

Mid 2010 Mac Pro, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core, OSX 10.10.2, Logic Pro X, 2 Multiface ii HDSPe, Rev. 20, 4.03