1 (edited by ephemera 2011-10-26 23:45:25)

Topic: Lion support??

I heard some good things about rme interfaces and was interested in buying either an FF or a UC to use with pro tools.   I am running OSX 10.7.2 with pro tools 10.   After looking on the website for compatibility  all I can find is driver -
"Mac OS X SL (10.6) Intel drive".

There is no mention of lion anywhere. Various professionals in the industry as  well as sales people in shops  have advised me that lion is not yet supported.   So I contacted rme support and was told yes it is.
I asked them twice why then it was not mentioned on the website and I was ignored.     

So I began to look at apogee website and they have very clear helpful information about lion compatibility.

I really dont understand why RME is what can only be thought of as a bit slack in this regard.   Before I purchase any product I usually check out the company and see what kind of support they offer. Unfortunately RME has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth in this regard by ignoring my email and having no clear info available about lion.   Perhaps these companies make so much money that they dont give a sh*t?? Who knows.

I still have a shred of interest in rme as I havent purchased yet, but apogee is looking far more attractive because I can easily find what I need.  Can anyone give me a reason why i should buy rme over apogee.    Oh and is it supported or isnt it?

Re: Lion support??

RME's TotalMix is worth more than the interface alone.

Apogee has a slight color (not necessarily bad) added to your audio, RME is a more neutral sound.

Working flawless on Lion here with an i5 MacBook Pro

The UC driver is for 10.5 and above. From the driver website: "Supports 10.5 in 32 bit, 10.6 in 32 bit/64 bit and 10.7." Lion = 10.7.

The latest FireWire driver supports 10.7 but needs a flash update of the interface.

best regards
Knut

Hi Ephemera,

The new driver is still not working with my FF 400 and Intel Mac Pro (from 2008) since I'm using Mac Os X lion. Even with the new Firmware. it works for few minutes and then I get a really bad sound with blips and distortion. Also, after few minutes, FF 400 front face encoder loose control on the main volume of the Mac.

At this moment 31/10/2011, and since July (Lion release). I don't get any clear answer from the French distributor of RME. And no answer at all from RME.

I hope find a solution, if none, I will resell my FF 400 to a Windows users...

Take care !

Nico

Ekorche wrote:

Hi Ephemera,

The new driver is still not working with my FF 400 and Intel Mac Pro (from 2008) since I'm using Mac Os X lion. Even with the new Firmware. it works for few minutes and then I get a really bad sound with blips and distortion. Also, after few minutes, FF 400 front face encoder loose control on the main volume of the Mac.

At this moment 31/10/2011, and since July (Lion release). I don't get any clear answer from the French distributor of RME. And no answer at all from RME.

I hope find a solution, if none, I will resell my FF 400 to a Windows users...

Take care !

Nico

hmm doesn't sound very promising.  Perhaps Ill go apogee after all

None of the above is a known issue of a general nature and none of it happens e.g. on my Mac Pro. 96k playback works just fine, and there are no side-effects after a period of playback.

So whatever may be the problem here, it is not a general FF vs. Lion issue.

There are several threads on this forum where this has been mentioned, BTW.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sure, Daniel, but you can't say that the last driver updates for RME FireWire Series are fully and perfectly working with Mac OS 10.7, because that's simply not true.

And please, I'm not saying that RME is not doing its job, or that it's Apple responsibility, or whatever.
We're just waiting for the next working driver to come, period. I will not argue here.
All I know is that, for different reasons, I must reinstall as soon as possible all my system and all my apps (the real PITA) on a brand new HD with OS 10.7 on it. And I'd be glad to use my FF 800 again at this time.
So the sooner the better, naturally I know RME agrees with that.

Mac Pro early 2008 2x2.8 6 GB | OS 10.6.8 | RME FF800 2.77/2.91 | Logic Pro 9.1.5

Hi All,

I'come back to give you my last experience feedback on the subject. And to close my reclaim.

After a complete re installation of Mac OS X lion on a formatted disk, and a clean installation of the latest drivers. All my last troubles are corrected. No more distortion, no interruption, work perfectly in all sample rate, (even if I change it during the Playback !).

A simple update from Mac OS X SL to Lion seems to create a lot of troubles. (it was my case).

After a transfer of all my data on an external HD, Format of my main Disk partition, New complete and clean installation of Lion and audio driver, All works fine !!!

Thanks to : Knut, Timur and to others post and users that helped me to understand ;-)

Nicolas

(Mac Pro1.1 early 2008 2 x Intel core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz (Ti based Firewire chipset); Mac OS X Lion (true); FF 400 (2.97/1.7) running 96000 Hz; Ableton Live 8.2.6 )

Matthias wrote yesterday, on the 'Latest driver updates' thread, that "The latest Mac FireWire driver 3.0 adds performance optimizations for 10.7 (Lion)."
That's great news!

Does anyone tried this new driver with Lion and, ideally, with Logic Pro 9.1.5?
Is everything all right, or are there still some problems?

To cut a long story short, is it safe now to install OS 10.7 on one's Mac *and* to use FF 800 at the same time?

Thanks to all

Mac Pro early 2008 2x2.8 6 GB | OS 10.6.8 | RME FF800 2.77/2.91 | Logic Pro 9.1.5

Clean Lion install: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12731

best regards
Knut

OK, thanks Knut and Matthias for those informations.
Cheers,
Wolfie