Topic: Newbie Questions

Hi folks

I’m a complete newbie to the FF400… just got it today in fact, as a potential replacement for my Apogee Duet. The reason for the replacement is because I’ve just bought a new Macbook Pro, running Lion (10.7.2) and Logic Pro 9… and the Duet no longer works very well/is buggy.

On my older set-up it was perfect (Macbook white / Leopard / Logic 8 Pro). I know, I know… you should never upgrade without checking drivers are available. Well, I did check… the Duet drivers (Maestro 2) were available… they just don’t work as they should. I’ve spoken with Apogee about this and they admit to the issues but don’t have any estimate on time for driver updates.

Anyway, not wanting to wait for what could potentially be many weeks, if not months, I was recommended the FF400 by a friend. It’s a more complex beast than the Duet, for sure, but then the Duet, though having wonderful converters, is not as versatile in the I/O department.

My initial issue is with output/headphones selection and output levels. I have a very basic set-up… two HS50M powered monitors coming out of line 1&2 and the need for either one instrument or a condenser mic in. I haven’t got ‘round to testing recording yet but as far as playback is concerned, I’d like to know how to switch between monitors and headphones.

I know that via the encoder knob I can select the line outs/headphones and then increase/decrease their respective levels but at the moment both monitors and ‘phones are working at the same time. For recording vocals, I’d want to ordinarily mute the monitors and just have the ‘phones and then when monitoring, I’d like to either switch the monitors back on and/or switch them back on at the same time as switching the ‘phones off.

I suppose I could select either the monitors or the ‘phones and dial their respective outputs down to ‘mute’, depending on what I’m doing at that particular time, but that seems a very clunky way of going about it. And would mean dialing back up to the right level every time you switched either monitors of ‘phones back on.

On the Duet, all I needed to do was check/uncheck a couple of options in the driver interface. How do I go about this with the FF400?

Also, the ‘phones level seems very quiet… even at maximum (+6db). This wasn’t the case with the Duet. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Darren.

Re: Newbie Questions

Wow... 41 views. No-one knows the answer(s)?

Perhaps I included too much text? smile

You can save presets in the Fireface Mixer to switch between Phones and Mains. As for Phones output level, what is your setting for this? There are 3 different reference level options in Fireface Settings for Out 7/8.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for your reply, Jeff!

The manual isn't that great on these details unfortunately (unless I missed something). How do I save a preset, exactly? Is there any documentation that covers this?

Cheers,

Darren.

In Fireface Mixer, on the right side panel, there is a bank of 8 preset buttons. Click "Save" then choose a button the save the current state there. Then anytime you click a button (or choose a preset via MIDI control) that specific preset is loaded to the mixer.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks, Jeff!

Darren.