Topic: Fireface 800 / Multiface II Reference/Analog Levels

Hi,

I'm looking to buy either a Fireface 800 or Multiface II.

I have synths and outboard with a mixture of balanced/unbalanced connectors running at a mixture of different input/output levels (+4 dBu/-10dBv).

Can I individually set the Analog/Reference levels for the line ins/outs to cope with the mixture of synths and outboard running at different levels?

For instance, if I globally set the analog input reference levels to +4dBu to cope with some of my higher-end outboard some of my synths running at -10dBv will come through with low gain.

Does this mean all inputs or outputs must be running at all +4 dBu or -10 dBv?

Logic 9.1.8 (1700.67) (32-bit) - OS X Lion 10.7.5
Digiface <-> [Fireface UCX & Prism Orpheus - ADAT]

Re: Fireface 800 / Multiface II Reference/Analog Levels

DanRand wrote:

Can I individually set the Analog/Reference levels for the line ins/outs to cope with the mixture of synths and outboard running at different levels?

No, only the Fireface UFX has this capability.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Yeah but the UFX is quite a bit more expensive.

So, with the Fireface 800 and Multiface II you can't individually set the inputs and outputs to different reference levels.

Does this mean that I can't use synths and outboard operating at different reference levels?

Thanks.

Dan

Of course you can - if set to +4, all that may happen is that you will need to digitally raise levels a bit of units that have -10 outputs, which won't cause any problems...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

By "digitially raise levels", does this mean with the TotalMix software or inside my host/sequencer.

Also, will digitally rasing -10 levels have an affect noise levels, distortion or "sound quality" in any way?

In Sequencer.

I doubt so. Most probably (have a look at the meters) the noise coming from your equipment is far higher than the self noise of the RME unit. So raising the level digitally does not decrease quality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME