1 (edited by trubadix 2011-11-04 14:53:34)

Topic: Madi HDSPe - ADI 648 - ADI 8QSM

Hi all,

my working combination right now is a Madi PCIe card in a mac pro joined to a ADI 8QSM via coaxial. For Adat I use an additional HDSPe Raydat.
Now, I think about exchanging the HDSPe Raydat card with an ADI 648. That way I gain 2 PCIe slots back and would theoretically have 7 Adat ports available at 48 k.

My questions an concerns regarding this configuration:
- will it work? the ADI 648 covers all the 64 channels of Madi. Is it still possible to route 8 Channels to the ADI 8 QSM and use the remaining ones for Adat? Or would I need 2 Madi-Cards on the Mac pro for that purpose?
- how would I cable this? I prefer optical madi, because I like to use the Midi via Madi. Would madi ring network work?
- ADI 648 is up to 96kHz maximum sampling frequency ... can I still run the Madi PCI-card on 192 kHz with both units connected (not using the I/Os of the ADI 648) or would I need to recable for that purpose?
- I am watching a used unit on sale ... what is the difference between MkI and MkII?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Madi HDSPe - ADI 648 - ADI 8QSM

Simple ring cabling with one HDSPe MADI, the 648 also supports 192 kHz, and MKII has a different front plate with an extra Remote select switch.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great! Thanks! How come, that the 648 is only specified to support 96 kHz on the RME Website?

You can not set that sample rate on the front. But MADI to ADAT and vice versa at 192 kHz works at real 48 kHz, and therefore the unit simply does the right thing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME