Topic: aes/ebu to spdif - interconnection question multiface mk1

hi.  i'm trying to connect my Akai S500 sampler to the spdif input on the Multiface.  the akai's outputs are 1/4" phone plugs and the machine offers aes/ebu OR spdif (selectable in the machine's utilities folder).  according to rme's website the spdif rca input can accept aes/ebu protocol...anyhow, i'm trying to figure out the best method of connecting these two and how to wire it up as i'll be building my own cables.

optical is not an option as that port is already connected to another device.

thanks.

- jim

Re: aes/ebu to spdif - interconnection question multiface mk1

jimfowler wrote:

hi.  i'm trying to connect my Akai S500 sampler to the spdif input on the Multiface.  the akai's outputs are 1/4" phone plugs and the machine offers aes/ebu OR spdif (selectable in the machine's utilities folder).  according to rme's website the spdif rca input can accept aes/ebu protocol...anyhow, i'm trying to figure out the best method of connecting these two and how to wire it up as i'll be building my own cables.

optical is not an option as that port is already connected to another device.

thanks.

- jim

you sure about that? spdif normally is on an rca plug, aes on an xlr. I've never heard of it being on a jack before.

Isaac P

yep, 100% sure.  dunno why akai elected to do it this way but if you do a quick google image search for S5000 and look at the back you'll see two 1/4" jacks alongside two optical ports.  these will be labeled digital i/o and the manual states that it's aes/ebu or spdif, depending on the machine's settings.

- jim

jimfowler wrote:

yep, 100% sure.  dunno why akai elected to do it this way but if you do a quick google image search for S5000 and look at the back you'll see two 1/4" jacks alongside two optical ports.  these will be labeled digital i/o and the manual states that it's aes/ebu or spdif, depending on the machine's settings.

- jim

What does the manual say about the pin out of the jack? The RME manual has diagrams for rca - xlr leads, or if it's unbalanced then just a TS jack to rca lead on SPDIF or AESEBU will work. (RME SPDIF ports accept either)

If it's TRS  (balanced jack) I would use aesebu wired as for analoge connecters (also in the RME manual)

Hope this helps,

Isaac P

isaac wrote:
jimfowler wrote:

- jim

What does the manual say about the pin out of the jack? The RME manual has diagrams for rca - xlr leads, or if it's unbalanced then just a TS jack to rca lead on SPDIF or AESEBU will work. (RME SPDIF ports accept either)

If it's TRS  (balanced jack) I would use aesebu wired as for analoge connecters (also in the RME manual)

Hope this helps,

Isaac P

From the manual looks likes it is balanced so TRS jack to RCA as in the RME manual.

Isaac P

yep, pg. 44 has the wiring layout.  thanks for the clarification.  i have it currently hooked up successfully as spdif but will swap over to aes/ebu as soon as the right cable and jacks arrive.

i really appreciate your help.

- jim