Topic: Broken HDSP 9632 - need help

My 9632 has several problems: The analog output adds a high amplitude 'digital sounding ' noise to the signal whenever the card is playing back audio. Also, the coaxial S/PDIF as well as the AES/EBU inputs don't work, not showing any incoming signal, they don't sync. The analog input works fine, so does the ADAT input. 

There were two damaged 220uf electrolytic capacitors (showing signs of overheating and checking revealed reduced capacity), replacing them didn't get rid of the problems unfortunately. Everything else on the board looks fine to the eye, I've also tested the two zeners which were OK.

It looks to me like two different, maybe even independent defects. The only function I really need is either AES/EBU or S/PDIF IN. But with the card inside the computer I've no way of testing anything beyond what I've already done. Is there an obvious part to replace, maybe a component that gets damaged first when overvoltage gets through the S/PDIF input (which might have happened)? Also, without schematics I'm kinda stuck...

Thanks!
GS

Re: Broken HDSP 9632 - need help

The inputs are transformer-coupled. No such fault known, sorry. Send it in for repair and you will get a quote about estimated costs first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Broken HDSP 9632 - need help

Thanks! I've tried to sync it to optical S/PDIF now, this also doesn't work. Is there a receiver chip (or op amp in the path to it) that handles everything but ADAT which might be faulty? Considering the used prices for these cards I don't think having it repaired would make much sense, and I'd actually like to do it myself.