Topic: UFX - Slow Shutdown on Win XP SP3 with the UFX turned on

I have noticed that when my UFX is on, my PC takes triple the time it normally requires to shutdown.

If I try to "safely remove hardware" the UFX first, that takes too a lot of time too, before the message that it has been done appears.

Upgrading the driver and firmware, didn't solve it. The same behavior is occurring on both my operating systems (Both Win XP Pro SP3 - one for daily use, one for audio applications).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there an official acknowledgment of this fact from RME?

The extra shutdown time doesn't interfere with my work, still it bugs me!

Kind regards,

George

Re: UFX - Slow Shutdown on Win XP SP3 with the UFX turned on

Not something I've see or heard of. Is the UFX connected via USB or Firewire? Is the driver up to date? Have you deactivated system sounds?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I had a faulty Internet line and it was fixed today.

The UFX is connected via USB. I have the latest drivers and firmware and the system sounds are deactivated.

I 'll try connecting it via firewire tomorrow and after that I'll try it on my laptop, on which I have installed WIN XP SP3 and WIN7 x64 dual boot.

I'll get back with more info tomorrow.

Regards,

George

I just finished testing.

I got the following results:

Desktop (Win XP pro SP3)
UFX off - shutdown time 10s
UFX on USB - shutdown time 40s
UFX on FW - shutdown time 10s

Laptop:
Win XP pro SP3 - UFX off - shutdown time 12s
Win XP pro SP3 - UFX on USB - shutdown time 30s
Win 7 SP1 - UFX off - shutdown time 16s
Win 7 SP1 - UFX on USB - shutdown time 39s

Any ideas why I have this odd behaviour?
Does anyone else experience the same problem?

Kind regards,

George

Safe Remove indeed takes some time, but it never made a problem on shutdown. Most probably you have some specific setting/setup that makes this behaviour show up. For example: if you just start your computer (cold boot) with UFX on, and then shut it down wihtout doing anything - is shutdown still more long? If so, is there any additional MIDI or audio stuff that might interfere?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My XP installations are heavily tweaked, so I thought maybe one of the settings I have made caused this. However this is not the case with my Win7 installation on my laptop. No tweaks have been made there.

Shutting down the PC, always takes that amount of time, when the UFX is connected via USB and turned on, even after cold boot and immediate shutdown.

No other audio sound cards, or MIDI devices are connected on my desktop PC and every device not required for my Studio work has been turned off....

Hmmm, I just thought that there may be a conflict with my Powercore PCI card. If I can find the time tomorrow, I 'll remove it and re-test. For now, I'm connected via FW and all is well, at 64 samples (I love these new drivers by the way!).

Thank you for your effort in helping us Matthias.
We all appreciate this level of support from RME. It is one of the many reasons why you'll be stuck with me as a client for a looong time! smile

Kind regards,

George

I didn't try removing the Powercore card, since it is installed on my desktop, whereas the problem was noticed on my laptop also.

Moreover, I tried the same procedure on a friend's laptop, with his own UFX. He was experiencing slow shutdowns too, but he hadn't noticed it.

Can anyone from RME Tech support check if he can reproduce this problem on their Windows test machines?

Kind regards,

George

We are working with this unit every day, including mutliple reboots. No problem here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SKULL wrote:

Does anyone else experience the same problem?

Yes, I do.  On both of my laptops.

Which recording app do you use?

I have been having slow start-ups in Cubase since I installed my UFX, but didn't realize that it was effecting my shutdown time until recently when I tried the UFX on my mobile laptop (my office laptop is too large for convenient travel).  My systems are quite nicely setup and they start-up/shutdown very quickly and cleanly otherwise.

After setting up the UFX on my portable laptop, I shutdown my office laptop in a few very short moments and then realized that something was amiss.  Then, while shutting down my portable system, the delay was entirely noticeable.  It was refreshing to see some kind of consistency to attach to this issue that I have been communicating to RME about for many months now (I have an open thread about it).  I hope they step up and investigate more thoroughly so that they can either communicate a particular limitation in their product, or correct the problem.

Regardless of how annoying this issue has been for me, I just simply can't argue with the conversion quality and the otherwise stable interface.  I can get my work done and the silly wait times are, in this case, well worth it.

I 'm using Nuendo, but I don't think that there is a difference when I start the program. The only difference that I have noticed, is when I turn the PC off.

I haven't found a solution for this, except using the firewire connection. Everything is rock solid and no shutdown delay is noticed.

I would love to try out the firewire connection, but I have no port available.  Maybe at some point, but I would hope that RME investigates and resolves this before I get that chance as I expect it will not be likely soon.

If I arrive at any more information, I will post on my thread, and do my best to remember to post here as well.
Cheers.

An updated driver with a different shutdown behavior can be downloaded here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … n_1021.zip

I am pretty sure it will solve this problem. Please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I am pretty sure it will solve this problem. Please try.

It did!
I will try this out on my other laptop and report back if I do not receive the same results.
Cubase still loads up slowly, but I use Reaper and Ableton Suite now, and they both load immediately.
Thank you so much!  I truly do appreciate this issue being resolved for shutdowns.

I confirm that the issue has been resolved! The new driver works like a charm, without additional delay during shutdowns and restarts!

Thank you all at RME!

Kind regards,

George