1 (edited by patricksully 2011-11-09 13:24:40)

Topic: High Pitched Noise problem

Hi, I just purchased a Fireface UC today and set it up.

Disappointing to find I also have a strange high pitched noise that has previously been reported in this forum. However, none of the threads actually contain a solution.

Basically, my high pitched noise occurs when I plug in a lead to one of the two preamp inputs (Inputs 1 or 2). It doesn’t matter what lead, or whether there is an instrument connected at the other end of the lead or not – even plugging in a jack-to-rca converter will trigger this noise. I have uploaded a sample recording of this noise where I took the lead in and out of the fireface uc to demonstrate the high pitched noise, and how it goes once you take out the lead from the unit. The gain was set to ‘49’ – which is slightly higher than the setting I was using for recording bass guitar.

I accept that increases in the gain will introduce more noise - that is audible. But this is not just noise - it's a high pitch noise that will definitely be audible in quiet recordings.

www.serimusic.com.au/rme-samples/Sample_of_noise_with_rme-fireface-uc.wav  (3.8m)

This wave file has not been touched after it was recorded. Changes to the latency or any other setting in the Fireface USB Settings did not affect the high pitch noise. The noise occured regardless of whether my DAW was running. (Reaper 4.1)

Any help would be appreciated – these units are not cheap – and I wasn’t expecting to troubleshoot a problem such as this with a unit of this calibre. I think it’s clearly an unacceptable symptom.

•    Firmware 112
•    Driver 9.79
•    Purchased on 9th Nov 2011
•    Windows 7 (64 bit)
•    Reaper 4.1
•       Fireface UC Serial Number: 23295850

I look forward to your response.
Cheers
Pat

Re: High Pitched Noise problem

Sorry I have no solution, but I advice anyone who tries to help to have a look at the waveform. It is looking really odd. The noise is about the same but going up and down the y axis, both in slopes and jumpes. Weird.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

It is possible, some kind of digital noise, or interruption is occuring, but did you try different USB cable, different USB port?
My guess is the unit needs service, but just try some obvious things before calling your seller.

4 (edited by oblique strategies 2011-11-10 02:17:22)

I get a distinct high-pitched whine when using inputs 1 & 2 under the following conditions:
Turned up gain to 49 like original poster.

High-pitched whine:
* Un-balanced 1/4" cables with other end not plugged in to anything.
* Un-balanced 1/4" cables with other end plugged in to source.

No high-pitched whine:
* Balanced 1/4" cables either plugged in to source or not.
* XLR cables either plugged in to source or not.

No issues with other inputs.

Firmware 115
Driver 1.62
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
MacBook Pro (Early 2008) – Core 2 Duo

Received new unit on February 16, 2011.

Using different USB cables or ports on computer had no effect.

So, the unbalanced cable is picking RFI or something.....is that your conclusion?
If so, it's not really a problem with babyface. But the OP's noise didn't sound like that to me.

What could fix it then is a pseudo balanced cable. With at the babyface side a stereo jack with nothing connected to ground and the ground from the cable connected to ring.
Not a real solution for the underlying issue, but could be a fix none the less.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632